Todd's Puppy class cancelled on us!! Training classes in Loudoun County VA?

Thread: Todd's Puppy class cancelled on us!! Training classes in Loudoun County VA?

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

DefaultTodd's Puppy class cancelled on us!! Training classes in Loudoun County VA?

I had Todd signed up for puppy kindergarten starting on Monday evening. The school called and cancelled saying they didn't have enough dogs for the class. She said that she signed us up for the next available class starting on June 3rd!!! He'll be over 5 months old by then. I was really looking forward to this class. I feel it is a very important step for us and the time is now to get this started. I can't seem to find any other available places to take him in my area except for Petsmart, or private lessons. I have used this facility in the past, but it has been awhile. It's been over 6 years since I've done obedience with a dog and I find it invaluable to go through all the stages of obedience through to the CGC. Todd is an office dog, so he is exposed to the public. Any suggestions? Is 5 months too old for puppy kindergarten? Anyone out there in Northern VA that knows of good training schools in the Loudoun area? Ugh. Todd is a really good boy, and he is socialized to other dogs and lots of people young and old. But, I like the idea of the socialization and training combo provided by kindergarten.
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Have you checked with your local AKC or Lab club in your area? Maxx only had 4 in his class and it was a perfect number for his 1st class.
    If worse comes to worse I would go to the class at PetSmart. It sounds like you have rmenoygh experience to know if things are being taught correctly. I definitely would not wait until June for the first class, you are missing out on a very critical time period. Good luck!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

joflake is offline Senior Member

That sucks that they cancelled. Mine did it, no matter how many were there. I hope you can find another.

However, when I adopted Dixie in October, she was already four months old and we started puppy class in November, making her five months. So, I don't think it's too late by any means, but the earlier the better.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Yay, I got him into a puppy group class that starts on Tuesday, and even includes a private training session at my home on Sunday. I was going to sign him up for PetSmart and my vet recommended this trainer when we went in last night. I'm looking forward to it. Oh, and I can't believe Todd is now 31 pounds. He was 12 lbs when I got him 3/2. todd door.jpg
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02