So...

Thread: So...

Mholly2 is offline Junior Member

DefaultSo...

My wife and I brought our 9 week lab home yesterday, our first dog since we were both kids. We are crate training her, and after an initial error on our part (left her 1 hour for mass the first time we crated her) she has no issues with her crate and slept well all night with only 1 potty break.

We are beginners and have read this board religiously and are striving for consistency. My first question for you awesome experts is, Why does she pee AFTER we come back in from her potty break? We have learned to take her out more often, but she seems to pee when we get back in! I use an enzyme cleaner and bring her right back put as she pees, but it has happened a few times (in the 24 hours she has been with us!).

Hope this is not a dumb question.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

when you take her out for the potty break, is she doing a full pee? Or not peeing/quick pee? How long are you out?

It could be that she isn't peeing outside. not really. the outside can be very distracting and most pups will be busy and forget to pee, or start to pee then stop to go sniff (so they haven't emptied their bladder). Your job is to make sure puppy pees, a full pee, before coming back in.

Also, if you are outside awhile (say 20-30 minutes) and she does actually pee when you first go out, well, she probably just needs to pee again as it's been 20-30 minutes since her last pee!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Mholly2 is offline Junior Member

Tanya,
    Thanks for the quick reply! Could be she is quick peeing since she gets SO distracted! We will pay more attention! First of many questions heading your way in. Good news is we are only 24 hours in and I am madly in love! Just need to get a potty routine!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

The first few weeks are the toughest part but the extra attention you give to house training now will pay off in spades. One thing that I have done with both of my dogs is that when I take them out and they pee they get high praise after peeing and I also vocalize and say "go pee!" in a friendly voice when they start peeing outside. Over time they will take this as a vocal cue so that when you take them outside you can say 'go pee!' and they will actually go pee first before going to play or go to sniff that blade of grass.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I would have her checked got a UTI as soon as you can get in to the vet, like asap!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.