Growling, biting, lunging
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Growling, biting, lunging

Plates is offline Junior Member

DefaultGrowling, biting, lunging

I have 4 1/2 month old English Lab puppy purchased from a breeder at 8 weeks old. The issues I'm having with him are that he gets too excited. I know to exercise him and play fetch but those things make him worse! He doesn't understand fetch yet but he'll chase a ball and grab it. This makes him start lunging at us, growling, and taking chunks out of us.

I'm beginning to think he has mental problems. :/ nothing has worked from all of the tips and strategies I've read. It actually makes things much worse.

The Kong toys filled with food, he'll get tired of trying and give up on them. He doesn't seem interested in my daughter and I as much as other dogs on walks and class and our cat. He is interested in us only for humping my 12 year old and biting me!

Really the biting constantly is better. Now he does it mainly when overexcited.

He is in obedience classes but the trainer rolls her eyes when she sees us coming through the door. He chokes himself constantly on the leash, pulling to get at the other dogs there. I hold him just to stop the pressure on his Neck at times in class.

Advice is welcome please!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You need a different trainer.

Where (general area) are you located? I can look for a Lab club for you as they usually have some obedience classes.

And - one way to get your puppy to be more attentive and less nutty before classes is to exercise him in advance so he is a little tired.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

More info. I babied him at first. He cried so much in the crate, he'd go hoarse. so I'd take him to potty, then put him in bed with me or just stay up and hold him until he fell asleep. He slept fine in my arms! I did this until he was almost 3 months old. Now he's sleeping almost 8 hours in the crate at night. I know this wasn't ideal but I'm not a cry it out kind of person! I felt so bad for him.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

This facility looks awesome.Arrowhead Dog Training I did not find a Lab club that offered lessons (even the all breed club I found does not do lessons). There are a couple of hunt clubs if you are interested in hunting with this puppy.

On babying him. I am not a proponent of dominance theory, but, dogs can be quite good at manipulating their people. When you give in on things like crate training you are reinforcing that crying/barking/complaining is a good way for the puppy to get what he wants. Not that different than human children. You have to be humane, but you need to stick to your guns. If you feel bad for him when you are trying to teach him something, you will not be successful.

Proper puppy classes allow your puppy to be socialized while teaching YOU how to train him.

Good luck.

That's the one I was talking about.

No hunting but I wanted to train him to be a service dog for my child with autism in a couple of years. I'm not sure if he'll calm down and be good for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Plates View Post
    That's the one I was talking about.
    Where you are currently going? I would ask to speak to the owner/manager if the trainer is making you feel like you are not welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Plates View Post
    No hunting but I wanted to train him to be a service dog for my child with autism in a couple of years. I'm not sure if he'll calm down and be good for that.
    Did your breeder select this puppy with that goal in mind?

Yes the breeder knew. And I left it up to him to choose based on temperament rather than me picking based on looks or seeing the puppies rarely.

It's still early and he's still little yet. I'm hoping this is a phase of puppyhood. It's been so long, I don't remember well puppyhood.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast