Puppy Help?!

Thread: Puppy Help?!

bluedog214 is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy Help?!

I have a 5 month old black lab named is blue and she is clearly the dominant of my two dogs. The problem is I'm trying to do basic training with her (sit, come, stay, etc) and she knows sit and she knows her name but she only listens when she feels like it. If we are outside and she is off leash and i say come and she doesn't feel like it she runs off. If i say sit i have to tell her probably 5 times before she even looks at me. I need to teach her to listen, and establish that I'm the pack leader and not her.

I would like to be able to let her off leash and not worry about her running off.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Did you train your command with slowly increased distractions? Training is a multi-process. First you teach them what it means, in a quiet environment. once they get that, you must KEEP training and slowly add distractions, duration or distance (one at a time). SLowly proof the command.

recall - if she is having fun in the yard it's pretty normal for her to ignore you. did you train recall with added distractions? Use a long line so she has to come back, reward big time. ONLY use the recall command when you know she will come (otherwise use plan B). Use the long line during training phases.

she isn't dominant. she's a puppy. she isn't trying to be your boss or show you she is leader. she is a puppy being a puppy. If she is only listening some of the time that just means you haven't finished training the command yet.

Go to puppy classes ASAP.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Thanks Tanya what kind of distractions should i throw in during training

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

have another family member come in (calmly at first). noise, movement. anything. obediences classes are great for this. practice outside. in a quiet outside place at first, then busy places. on leash of course.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

ok thanks