Puppy's first days in a new home?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy's first days in a new home?

Aimskie is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy's first days in a new home?

Hi everyone.

I brought Peyton home a couple days ago. She was only 6 weeks and 6 days (a little young in my opinion). I wasn't planning on getting a puppy, but I went with a friend of mine who wanted to check out an ad on craigslist for black lab/golden retriever mix pups.Their living conditions were pretty awful. Their wooden whelping box had rough, splintery edges. In Vegas, unfinished yards are this weird combination of dirt and sand with some rocks of various size. That's how the yard was under the whelping box, so some were digging and wiggling under the middle barrier. One got stuck so her head was on one side and her body on another. The yard had plastic bottles and trash in the corners. These poor little things were rolling around in their own feces with flies all over. It was so terrible and heartbreaking. I had to take at least one home.

Now I know it's not uncommon for puppies to have worms, so she went to the vet later in the evening. We got her first shots done and I was also given some medicine for deworming. She did great her first night, and let me know when she had to go outside in the middle of the night. No accidents in her crate. But her second day, she started having diarrhea. She was acting very normal, energetic, drinking lots of water and even wanted to eat still. No blood in stool or vomiting. I started what I like to call the crap diet (chicken, rice, and pumpkin ) and I noticed an immediate change when I took her out in the middle of the night.

I still have her on the crap diet. How long should I keep her on it? Potty training is going well, but I'm not reinforcing with treats. Just voice, belly rubs and petting. She also seems to be teething. I got her a nylabone, a rope toy, and a few plush squeakers as well as a couple tennis balls. I've read that wet, frozen knotted up strips of fabric are great as are Kongs. Is it too early to start command training? What about leash? I feel like such a novice, even though I have a 2 year old Frenchie, but comparing these two are like comparing apples to oranges.

Any advice and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Hello! Diarrhea could be from the shots, dewormer, change of diet or just stress from change. Todd got diarrhea for a few poops after his vaccines and wormer meds. But then was good. If she is pooping normally now, I would try her normal diet. Most important is to make sure she is drinking. She could dehydrate fast. She's so young, potty training at this point is going to be about training yourself to know her potty cues, getting her outside and praising when she does. Todd is a little over 3 months now and really teething/chewing. He loves his kongs (likes the rubber) and I put some wet knotted washclothes in the freezer for him to chew on too. I just make sure that he doesn't tear any of it off or it would be his snack. Rope toys and plush squeakys he loves, but I have to watch him like a hawk because he is good at destoying them. Have fun with your puppy! and post some pics!

Debbie
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

Hi Debbie, thanks for the suggestions and reassurance! She's done great today. Still drinking and eating normally. I was having her go outside in the front yard because she did have worms. Now the challenge is to get her to go in the back yard.

photo (1).jpgphoto1.jpg

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dogmom is offline Senior Member

Are you sure about the age? The pictures look like a more mature puppy added to the apparent ease of housetraining would make me think of a puppy around 9 to 12 weeks.

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Cutie pie!! Ugh...worms suck! Todd had em too. Scared me to death after he was wormed and they came out!
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

I'm positive about the age. And there has been no "apparent ease" of house training her. She still has multiple accidents. The fact that she hasn't had an accident in her crate is probably because I have a 10 month old son who still wakes up in 3 hour intervals to nurse, so she hears him get up and starts to whimper. She was also the largest female in her litter. I like to think the smartest, too :P

I haven't seen any worms yet- still just the little round spots. But those are creepy too.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I would not give your puppy anything to chew on that she might ingest (like frozen strips of cloth). Labs will and do eat non-food items all the time and you could wind up with a blockage. For puppies, I feel Kongs or Nylabones are the better choices for chew objects. You can stuff the Kong with food/kibble/peanut butter and freeze it which will provide for a longer period of diversion.

Has the diarhhea cleared up or it is ongoing? I would get to a vet if she is still experiencing it. Puppies dehydrate quickly.

You can start command training (sit, lie down etc) but I would not walk this puppy off your property until at least the second round of shots so I don't know if starting leash training matters yet. Maybe just let her drag it around in your yard for short periods to get used to it. She is quite young.

Based on your description of the house where you got this puppy, I would call the humane society and report them.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for letting me know about the dangers of cloth strips. Between Peyton and my 10 month old son, I'm becoming an expert at mouth sweeps! I'm going to get the advice of you veterans and get her a kong. Any suggestion on size? I did get her a nylabone and she's really taken to it.

As for the diarrhea, she is going on day 2 of having normal looking bowel movements. I am still mixing her food with pumpkin and a little bit of baby rice cereal, but adding in a little more kibble each time. Dehydration is something I've been worrying about with her, simply because of the climate here in Vegas, but her nose is nice a moist and activity level is good. She drinks at least every hour. I always leave a bowl of fresh water out.

Any suggestions on command training? Our other dog is a French Bulldog. Hate to say it, but she's more like a cat instead of a dog. I think Peyton has the higher IQ out of the two.

I have been putting a leash on her and walking her around our property and she doesn't seem to mind. I talk to her quite a bit with lots of praise.

When I took her to the vet the first day I got her, I let the vet workers know what kind of conditions she was being brought up in. They actually had another client get a puppy from the same litter who said the same exact thing. She reported them and I believe the vet put in a call as well (even though all the puppies were healthy).

As far as kibble goes, I have her on Nutro Max Large Breed Puppy. She eats it and has never turned it down, but I just read some pretty awful reviews on it 1,378 Complaints and Reviews about Nutro Pet Foods. I'm going to take it back today in exchange for something else, but I need it to be reasonably priced. I was thinking about Simply Nourish (what we fed my frenchie) or Nature's Recipe.

Ah, my original reply never posted! Blah.

Sharon- Thanks for the tip on the frozen cloth strips. Between Peyton and my 10 month old son, I'm becoming a pro at mouth sweeps.. Although it is far more unpleasant with sharp little puppy teeth. I'm getting her a kong tonight Her diarrhea has cleared! I'm still giving her pumpkin and rice cereal, but adding in more kibble and subtracting more P&R. Although I read some disturbing things about the food she is on now.. 1,378 Complaints and Reviews about Nutro Pet Foods

Any other suggestions on kibble would be great. Mind you, I don't want to pay a fortune, so I'd like it to be reasonably priced.

I walked her around our property today, she did surprisingly well. Didn't seem to mind the leash. Hopefully that will continue and leash training will be fairly easy.

cillovely is offline Senior Member

Your Peyton looks almost the same size as my 10 week old Siren. I got him a bunch of kongs, two are for "puppies" one is like a pacifier and dosen't hold much but he does love to chew it and the other is the round traditional shaped one for large puppies. It's about the same as a medium regular kong. Also got the medium stuff a ball kong toy. I will feed him his whole meal in the kongs to keep him occupied. Something from Dr. Ian Dunbar's book.

I've become well re-trained at the mouth sweeps since my 5 year old loves legos and so does Siren

As for food recommendation I can't really help you much. The breeder was feeding them Blue Seal puppy food and gave us a bag, and we've been feeding him the same since. I like them becuase they are a local business here in New England.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast