Today's newest problem. Please help!

Thread: Today's newest problem. Please help!

Jeffrey Williams is offline Junior Member

DefaultToday's newest problem. Please help!

Ok after reading many threads on here, I have a feeling I am going to be slammed.So please be gentle, because I already feel bad enough. Thankfully, because of this web site, I will be able to correct this mistake. I have a 11 week old male lad. We have been together 2 weeks today, and things have been good. When I picked the pup up from the breeder,naturally we discussed, feeding, sleeping, the general habit of the pup. I had mentioned to the breeder, that I was going to crate the pup. The breeder suggested I feed the pup all meals, and water in the crate, to help hime adjust to the crate. Worked perfect, pup adjusted beautifully to the crate. Now the part where I think I am going to be slammed, but please know I was just following the advice of the breeder. The breeder also said to limit his water to meals only ( which I know now is hunky bull ) to help potty train. At all feedings he would gulp down his food and water in seconds. And potty training was going very well. I will admit I thought it was strange how fast he was drinking the water, but still went with the breeders advice of water with meals. Last night while looking at the site I noticed that " withholding water was a huge health risk" so today I gave water at will. He has been drinking and peeing all day long! When I say peeing, I mean with in minutes after drinking the water. Potty training was going so well, despite the bad advice of the breeder. My question is this normal, for him to be peeing so much , and that often after drinking? We were just in for his check up Monday, and the Vet said he was in excellent health. For those that are going to slam me, please be gentle, I feel bad. I was just following instructions. Any positive advice would be nice .

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

I don't see why anyone would slam you! People make mistakes every day and you obviously did your best and have rectified the situation. I personally feel really bad for you I bet it was frustrating to learn the breeder gave bad advice.

I think it sounds normal. My pup has free access to water all day and she pees often, some times right after drinking. Thankfully she doesn't poop as much!

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

No slamming from me, either. I have always been a firm believer in giving free access to water. When Mick (the Lab/Eng. Setter mix we had before Caleb) was about your pup's age, our friends noticed he do pretty much what you're describing- get a drink and pee immediately. The only difference was, we had newspapers down on the kitchen floor and he would pee there (this was back in 1991). The "problem" was solved by moving the water bowl just outside the front door. Mick would go out to get a drink, pee, then came back in. About a month later we moved the dish back inside and never had a problem again. With Caleb we kind of went in the middle of free accsess and only offering water at meals. I put measured amounts of water in his bowl whenever it was empty, and picked the dish up at 7PM. The only exception was on the nights we had class- then I let Caleb have a drink when we got home before the dish was picked up. I think I started leaving the water dish down 24/7 by the time he was 6 months old, but I still measured the water.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

find a balance between the two. you may have been giving too little opportunities to drink before (and stuff happens, just move on). But going from there to water all the time probably sent him on overload. I would give him opportunity to drink often but you can do things like not fill the bowl to the rim, remove it an hour before bed, etc.

I think with potty training you need to have some idea when the puppy drinks so some control makes sense. and if the puppy has learned to gulp when it is available he may do so just by habit so you mean need to work with him a little to find a balance.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Both with my adult dogs and puppies, they have free access to water when they are loose in the house (when I am there for most, one or two are loose when I am not at home). If they are in their crates or ex-pen, they do not hav access to water typically (they make a mess).

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Thanks! You all are fantastic ! Just feel like we went 4 steps backward on the potty training, but we will " get er done"

serenitydad is offline Member

True ambition is the deep desire to live usefully and walk humbly in God's grace. - Bill Wilson

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Having restricted access to water prior, it does not surprise me that he would over-consume initially when given free access. He'll even out I am sure. I too lifted the bowl around 8 ish when I was potty training but now it's down all the time.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Thanks to those that chimed in with suggestions. It's much appreciated!!!! To the one that felt the need to make funny faces, and no comment, immature! Always seems to be one that needs attention..

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

You'll get a lot of great advice on this site.....I didn't see anything negative here. Even if you post something and DO get negative feedback, those people (I think/hope) are trying in their own way to help. Anytime you're posting in an open forum on the internet (any site, not just this one) you have to learn to sort out what is helpful and pretty much ignore what is not. My dog Jack is almost a year old, he has a full water bowl 24/7. I've had dogs in the past that I've removed their water around 8 PM or so......mostly for selfish reasons~I didn't want to get up in middle of the night to let them out. Did the same thing with my kids between the ages of around 4 & 12....get your last drink. Until they were of age to get up and go in the night without waking me up. Again selfish. I had 3 children, a dog and worked 10 hours a day. Needed the sleep. On a happy note........it didn't hurt any of them.