Digging problems

Thread: Digging problems

mase6233 is offline Junior Member

DefaultDigging problems

I'm to a breaking point with my lab. He keeps digging outside. He is 5 months old. I have toys for him to play with yet he keeps wanting to dig. The bad part is that I never catch him doing it so I can't tell him no. I don't know what I can do. I work all day and my wife stays at home. He is always whining to go outside so my wife lets him out. This past weekend he dug out back when I was in the yard working bu I did t catch him. Appreciate any help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

citronella is offline Senior Member

Is he getting enough exercise? He could be doing this out of boredom and you might have to tucker him out with a nice long daily walk.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Supervision is key. For those split seconds you look away I found poop in the hole worked. Mind you, it only stopped digging in the poopy hole, then they dug elsewhere. When they got to a place where I didn't mind a hole I let them go to it. Mine grew out of digging but some don't. For those I have heard of people building their dog a sandbox sort of thing and encouraging digging in it. Good luck.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Puppies dig. Most of the time they do get to a point where is it not as popular. All of my dogs dug in their first year and then were less interested. One of mine (who is 7) loves to dig still but confines himself to one area where there is a lot of mulch and I really don't care if he digs there.

You can try to make an area of your yard where your dog has permission to dig, but the only way you can prevent it is to supervise him. And I second the recommendation that his exercise be upped. Tired dog = good dog.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Yep more exercise and have your wife keep an eye on him.

mase6233 is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the comments. I do walk him once at night. Sounds like a morning walk is needed as well -- alon with more supervision.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

walks are not exercise for a young lab. he needs to run and play. walks are a great part of a daily routine ad it is good for them to get out of the yard, but a leash walk will NOT release much if any of a young lab's energy.

a young lab often need at least an hour off leash play (fetch, playing with other dogs) each day.

labs also need mental stimulation - via training, game, other. you need to exercise mind and body.

i would never leave a 5 montrh old dog outside without supervision - they are like todlers and find trouble fast.

also, time outside in the yad alone is not exercise, he needs to interact with humans or dogs for exercise.
    Last edited by Tanya; 04-10-2013 at 07:24 AM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

bett is offline Senior Member

agree with tanya.
    walking isnt really exercise (unless you are walking and walking and walking)
    and he's bored. and really not safe outside alone.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Yep- what everyone has said- more excercise & supervision when he's outside. And definitely what Sharon suggested- give him a place where he is allowed to dig. The easiest way is to fill a plastic kiddie pool with sand. Our Mick was allowed to dig in the kids' sandbox (which also meant he dug huge holes in the beach at the camp lake), his pen and anyplace in the snow. Caleb digs in the water in his pool and also in the snow.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Maybe you have moles in the yard?? Mine will sometimes dig out moles. Mitzi and Kasa were my only obsessive diggers and they wouldn't dig all over... just one deep hole. Dig dig dig...several deep sniffs in the hole...dig dig dig