Can my cologne trigger unpleasant behavior?

Thread: Can my cologne trigger unpleasant behavior?

Videodroner is offline Junior Member

DefaultCan my cologne trigger unpleasant behavior?

Hi everyone,

I have two puppies that I love like children, and just recently one of them started to portray unpleasant behavior. One is a labrador-chihuahua mix that I rescued when she was 1 month old [she came from a bad family that separated her from her mom and siblings way too young, but we worked through the issues and is now a very lovely girl], and a yellow pure-bred labrador that I also rescued when he was 4 months [from a family that didn't love]. They are both a year old now.

The one I'm having issues with is the yellow lab. When I got him he had no training, and horrible dominance issues. A trainer, a behaviorist, and tons of love later, he became a wonderful dog [with a few quirks still]. The problem that I have now is every morning when I go say bye to him, he gives me the side of his face, his hair standing up, a very low growl [no teeth or anything], and sometimes goes to his crate, or goes and stands by my partner. Which is weird, because we spend a good amount of the morning cuddling and playing in bed before I get up, and in the evenings he greets me like he hasn't seen me in ages. The only thing I could assume was the cologne?

Could that be it, or should I get another behaviorist before I mess this up royally?

Thank you all!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'd stop saying goodbye to him.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

serenitydad is offline Member

A. I'm trying to picture how the chihuahua mounted the lab.

B. I have met people whose perfume made ME display unpleasant behavior.

Why not try saying goodbye without the cologne for a few days, then reintroduce it? We forget that dogs experience the world first by smell, then in distant second place is sight, followed by sound. Incidentally, this is the order in which the senses become active in puppies, or so I've read.
    True ambition is the deep desire to live usefully and walk humbly in God's grace. - Bill Wilson

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

It could very well be that the problem has nothing to do with what you are wearing or smell like but is due to the dog not liking you bending over him and putting your face near his. That's a threatening gesture for many dogs.

In any event, he seems to not like whatever you are doing and the last thing I would do with a dog that is warning you is put my face within range of his teeth.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Videodroner is offline Junior Member

I was trying to do some online research, and I read somewhere that colognes/perfumes can sometimes trigger aggression in dogs. Also, dogs that are aggressive to certain ethnic groups is not because of how they look, or the dog is racist or anything, but because of their different smell due to their foods.

He is a very lovable dog. I always get down to his level, grab him, hug him, squeeze him, etc... He loves it.
    We spend the mornings cuddling and playing in bed before I get up, but something that I do between getting out of bed, and leaving for work that triggers the behavior. My guess is the cologne, but I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced it.
    I really don't spray that much - but a cologne is always strong when you first apply it.

serenitydad - When there's a will, there's a way. From what I hear from people with similar situations, the chihuahua mounts the larger dog while she is laying down.

roger.jpgamy2.jpg

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    It could very well be that the problem has nothing to do with what you are wearing or smell like but is due to the dog not liking you bending over him and putting your face near his. That's a threatening gesture for many dogs.

In any event, he seems to not like whatever you are doing and the last thing I would do with a dog that is warning you is put my face within range of his teeth.
    This.

But if you are wondering if it a scent issue, why not just do a few days with no scent (cologne) and see. I'd think it has more to do with your motion or your departure then scent but easy enough to test and find out.
    Last edited by Tanya; 04-05-2013 at 06:34 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky