12 week old puppy questions

Thread: 12 week old puppy questions

Tcard22 is offline Junior Member

Default12 week old puppy questions

Hi everyone,

Things have been going great with Ranger image.jpg- he is 12 weeks now and we have been to a few weeks of puppy school which is great. There are few questions we have and would love to get some advice:

1) jumping and biting - for about 30 minutes in the morning and evening all he wants to do is jump up and bite - bite my legs, bite my butt, whatever he can sink his teeth into. We have tried several methods to curb this behavior - trying to swap for a toy, walking away and ignoring him - but for the most part that is not working. I know we shouldn't kennel him as punishment but it is OK to calmy kennel him for "reflection time" when he is in this type of mood?

2) Abusing the door signal - now that he has learned that going to the door = we take him outside, he has been doing so at times other than when he has to eliminate. He now goes to it he door and wants to go outside to play, any advice to keep him focused when he requests to go outside? (We take him out for walks/play several times a day but don't want him to tell us when we wants to play)

3) jumping up in sofa, chairs, tables - we have been relentless with "off" - the tough part is that we have a cat, and they like to play, and the cat is allowed on the bed, table, sofa - so when the cat escapes to the couch or table, he is teasing the pup to jump up and get him (and making the learning of off much more difficult) - any advice other than stay vigilant? Will he eventually understand?

Thanks so much!!
    Tyler
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I highly highly highly recommend puppy classes, a great place to socialize, train and get tips on normal puppy issues like those you are asking about.

1 - make sure he gets lots of play time to run around. also challenge his brain with mental stimluation. But in the evening, after play, he may be "over tired" (like an over tired toddler - crazy energy) in which case crate him before he gets too crazy with a treat. He does not "reflect" in teh crate nor is that purpose, the crate is only to encourage him (err force him) to take a snooze.

2 - take him out on leash for potty breaks so he knows they are no fun. Or just let him have fun outside - he's a puppy, if he wants to go out and play that isn't really a big deal is it?

3 - blame the cat - sounds like this is the cat's doign to get the puppy in trouble Maybe if they are playing and the cat jumps up, re-direct the puppy to another activity. it isn't really fair to the puppy if his partner, during play, goes to places he isn't allowed. If the cat is not engaging in play with the puppy then I would just intervene eariler in the process.
    Last edited by Tanya; 04-02-2013 at 12:15 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Bauer also had 2 times a day that he was a crazy puppy (jumping, biting, etc.). His times were very predictable, and I made sure that he was outside during those times. It did disrupt our routine, but it didn't last very long. I made sure that he was outside playing with me or out in the field on a long line and allowed to explore. I stopped him from getting to that excited level. By the time he was 6 months old or so, we had a pretty good exercise/training routine and he had outgrown getting the crazies twice a day.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Good point. If he is extra hyper at regular times each day - you may want to see if you can plan exercise for those periods (more outside stuff then indoors stuff). If he is hyper after a good round of exercise then crate him for a forced break.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

There is nothing wrong with a time out in the crate when puppy gets this crazy. Often they are just over tired and over stimulated. Don't make a big deal of it and you may find it helps tremendously. It worked well for Maxx and at 20 months he loves his crate!
    I blame the kitty for the jumping up on furniture but he has to have an escape route from a crazed puppy, lol!! Keep working the off command with puppy, eventually he will get it.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Tcard22 is offline Junior Member

Thanks for all the advice, I have been getting him outside to play during his typical 'jumping/biting' sessions and it has helped big time.

Thanks everyone!!