I am scared to death.

Thread: I am scared to death.

lavenderinscence is offline Junior Member

ExclamationI am scared to death.

today i let my labs out to pee. The pup doesn't like snow so I picked her up and carried her to a spot in the yard that i shoveled to the grass for her. as soon as i put her down, my bigger lab lunged and grabbed her by the head and raced away from me, through the yard, and the woods, tossing her up and catching her and chewing her up by the head. he would not come back to me, and when i followed, he only ran. when he finally dropped her and came back into the house, he would not come to me, i had to corner him. i told him "bad" and put him in his cage. my pup seems ok, but what in the heck happened? he wasn't growling or anything, but I'm scared to death. I've never seen a dog do that, ever. He is pure joy to be around, my family loves him. Why would he do that? I seriously am scared and i seriously don't know what to do or what would drive him to do that. please help me.

i've had her for about 4 weeks now, and they have been fine together ... she follows him, he follows her, they lick each other's faces, they sleep together ...

UPDATE... after i calmed down from the foray this morning, I went to let the older dog out of his cage and when i rounded the corner, i found something that confused me even more. my young pup was snuggled into a ball on a blanket at the door of the older one's cage, and the older one was smack up against it in a ball too, licking the pup through the cage. I am so confused.
    Last edited by lavenderinscence; 03-26-2013 at 09:04 AM. Reason: more to the story
    *Lavenderinscence

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

That's really odd. Are you sure the puppy is OK? He didn't break her skin anywhere? Do you think the older guy was just playing?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

I checked her all over and she seems ok, she was even chasing the cat. they are acting like buddies again. i called the vet and he told me that labs are VERY exuberant dogs and if he was really excited that could be why he would not come when i called him. he said that labs are hunting/ prey dogs and since the pup was screaming bloody murder it could have excited him even more. he said when i get him neutered (his testicles just dropped last month) he should calm a bit, he suggested i do not take them both out together till the pup gets bigger, and possibly enroll them in puppy training. i was just so scared.
    *Lavenderinscence

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

neutering won't change a dog nor calm them down.

But ABSOLUTELY sign up for classes with both (seperate classes) ASAP.

it sounds like exuberant play, the behavioru you describe makes me think of a very exited dog running around with a toy. Why he picked the puppy to do this with is another question.

Older puppies and young puppies can be a terrible match because older puppies are VERY VERY rough. and young puppies are small, fragile and unable to protect themselves. Though at 4 months your pup should be fairly big so I am having a hard time imagining a 60 pounds puppy running with a 20+ pound puppy in their mouth for very far. Do I have the ages right? younger pup is like 12 weeks so like 30 or so pounds and the older dog is like 7-9 months?

Chewing on the neck is play.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

At the very least, you need to get your older puppy to a place where he has reliable recall and a solid "LEAVE IT" command. I would get him into a basic obedience class right away.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    neutering won't change a dog nor calm them down.

But ABSOLUTELY sign up for classes with both (seperate classes) ASAP.

it sounds like exuberant play, the behavioru you describe makes me think of a very exited dog running around with a toy. Why he picked the puppy to do this with is another question.

Older puppies and young puppies can be a terrible match because older puppies are VERY VERY rough. and young puppies are small, fragile and unable to protect themselves. Though at 4 months your pup should be fairly big so I am having a hard time imagining a 60 pounds puppy running with a 20+ pound puppy in their mouth for very far. Do I have the ages right? younger pup is like 12 weeks so like 30 or so pounds and the older dog is like 7-9 months?

Chewing on the neck is play.

it must be because shes a mix. she is small. supposedly born on jan 2, and i bet she only weighs about 10 -12 pounds
    *Lavenderinscence

serenitydad is offline Member

This may not be much help, but I have to say it. Holy crap!

This is why I am such a nut about training and having control over my dogs. A trained dog is safer for himself and those around him. Sounds like he was in extreme knucklehead mode. I've had lab pups in that 7-15 month range do some pretty insane things. Years ago I had my 7 month old female lab off-leash in a semi-rural area (not a park, but not unusual to run into strangers), when she ran at full tilt, leaped through the air at least 6 feet, and TACKLED - BODY TACKLED - a 3 year old boy. Knocked him off his feet, and he landed, rather skidded, on his back into the dirt path. My mind raced through lawsuits, ambulances, his father attacking me, etc. I was amazed when the kid picked himself up, and with just one small tear coming out of the corner of his eye, gave her a scowl and a pout as he brushed himself off. Then I noticed - they had their own full-grown Lab and I figured the kid was used to the occasional knock-down. I apologized all over myself, and they were very forgiving. I swear I thought he was seriously injured for a minute. Glad your little one is OK.
    True ambition is the deep desire to live usefully and walk humbly in God's grace. - Bill Wilson

thank you to all that responded. I purchased a remington dog whistle today and worked with the older one almost all day. He picked it up extremely fast, because i used tasty training treats as a reward to the response to the whistle. Actually, both dogs started coming to me when i whistled, licking lips, expecting treats. I am absolutely enrolling the older one in basic training. he absolutely needs to come to me when i call.
    *Lavenderinscence