Puppy brag

Thread: Puppy brag

SiTheMutt is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppy brag

Just wanted to say that this is my first lab (mix) that I have ever owned and he is so smart! He isn't doing potty training 100% and still chews on a bunch of stuff that isn't his but he has gotten sit, down, and belly in a total of 45 minutes of training. He is such a good puppy and so great with our 1 year old son. He bites the crap out of us regularly which we are working on and still gets mad and acts out BUT he is great with our son. So gentle with him and somehow knows that he needs to treat him right. Yay to our lab/gsp mix. What a smart boy. I really think he will excel as a dog if I keep up the training. He hasn't been socialized very well but we are going to go to the dog park tomorrow or later this week and show him that people and dogs are nothing to fear. Just wanted to put a feel good story out there....
    "I haven't the slightest idea on how to change people, but I still keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out." - David Sedaris

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West

"If you wish to forget anything on the spot, make a note that this thing is to be remembered" -EAP

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

citronella is offline Senior Member

Aaawh congratulations.. Sounds like you are doing a great job. Keep it up and he will turn into an wonderful dog.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

SiTheMutt is offline Senior Member

Thank you. I'm a little worried about how scared he is of everybody but us, but I think we can condition that out of him. We went to the vet yesterday for a wellness exam and she commented on how timid he was but he did great with his shots. There is a great dog park here and looking forward to bringing him there and showing him that everybody else is as cool as we are. He really is a great puppy.
    "I haven't the slightest idea on how to change people, but I still keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out." - David Sedaris

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West

"If you wish to forget anything on the spot, make a note that this thing is to be remembered" -EAP

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

doubletrouble25 is offline Senior Member

Congrats!! It seems like he is the perfect addition to the family I'm sure with positive socialization and reinforcement he will open up just fine

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Congrats on your hard work with Si! It sounds like he could definitely benefit from some socialization with other dogs closest to his age. I am not a fan of dog parks, I don't care for the inability for all adults/owners to control the other dogs. Puppy k, basic obedience classes, etc work really well for a timid dog as the situation is much more controlled. If you decide to work up to a dog park after he gains confidence in classes I think you may find he will ease in to the situation much better.
    It will be important that you be very aware of the dynamics of the dog park to give him the best chance of success. He sounds very smart and definitely eager to learn. The most important thing you do not want to do is put him in to any uncomfortable/scary situation(s) that are common in a dog park setting. Make his experience with other well controlled/behaved dogs to build on the important confidence necesssary to make sure Si learns to be comfortable. Good luck!
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 03-25-2013 at 04:13 AM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Isn't it amazing when they are so eager to please and eager to learn. Keep working with him and he will be amazing. My Jack is not quite 11 months and amazes me every day with how smart he is and how fast he learns so many things. Dogs are amazing

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Si sounds like a great little pup. It always amazes me how they know to be gentle with small children as well as older people.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I second Tammy's comment about dog parks. Even if yours seems great, taking a timid and still VERY small puppy to one could be quite a negative and overwhelming experience for him. IMO, you should start small - Puppy K classes, time spent with one known friendly easy dog, time spent with smaller groups of new people and then work up to a dog park experience when your puppy is older and has worked out some of this timidity.

One bad dog on dog experience at a DP and you may have a much more significant behavior problem to overcome with your puppy.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.