Oooh the joys of potty training....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oooh the joys of potty training....

SiTheMutt is offline Senior Member

DefaultOooh the joys of potty training....

So Si has been doing *okay* with potty training. He is getting really great about going to the door when he has to go and will even go as far to jump up and try to jimmy the handle himself. He is 14 weeks-ish. I'm having a problem with him thinking that his crate is the ideal place to pee when nobody is looking (and still at night most of the time) and he also thinks that the carpet in our walk-in closet is a great place to leave his #2 - I've noticed that running back to the bedroom to go poop is his FIRST choice - when he realizes the door is shut and he can't get in there he will then go to the backdoor to let us know he has to go. *Sigh* I don't know how he got in these routines so I don't know how to break them. I'm contemplating keeping him leashed all day just so I know where he is but wow does that seem like a lot of work. Is there any tips anybody can give me to break this?

Oh, and I clean the crate very well so there isn't a smell and we had the carpet professionally cleaned about a week ago to get his scent out of it.
    "I haven't the slightest idea on how to change people, but I still keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out." - David Sedaris

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West

"If you wish to forget anything on the spot, make a note that this thing is to be remembered" -EAP

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

If you are not cleaning with an enzyme type cleaner, (Natures Miracle), or vinegar no amount of cleaning will help. I would definitely tether puppy to yourself, it is a lot less work than cleaning out the crate or making sure you get carpet thoroughly clean. Usually a week or 2 of this goes a long way in helping to potty train. Make sure you have good treats with you outside and throw the happiest party ever, every time, when puppy does his business as he should. Giving the treat when you get back in the house only teaches puppy that coming back in is a good thing. If puppy is not waking you at night to pee set an alarm and take puppy out for a couple of weeks. Your puppy is still a baby, it really just takes time, consistency and patience, he will get it!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

What tammyhuffman said. That will work. Jack was an amazingly easy pup to train, but when we first got started, every time he peed or pooped outside he was praised as if he was the smartest puppy in the world and surely the only one that ever thought of peeing and pooping outside. We also said "go pee-pee" every time he peed and "go poo-poo" when he pooped so he'd associate those words. So.....treats, praise, patience, treats, praise, patience, .....it'll come.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Don't worry, some puppies just take longer, but keep at it and there will be that day when they finally get it. As suggested, clean previous accident spots, if he seems to pee too often, take a pee sample to the vet for analysis. It will help if you can keep him on a hard floor area of the house since carpets are hard to completely clean of smell.

Crystal87 is offline Senior Member

Jaxx went through that a couple weeks ago and I posted here too. Ha ha. I got some good advice. He's not perfect, but getting better.

He no longer does #2 any where in the house. If he's not in his crate he will go recline on the stairs and bark when he needs to go out. However, he still will pee in his crate but since I've started cleaning with vinegar it is much less often. I throw a huge puppy praise party when he doesn't pee in the crate and waits to go outside and pees there. :P

Jaxx - 12/5/12
    Missy - 12/29/12

Jax and Takoda have the same birthday!

We're still working on it too. No poop in the house for over a month but he will pee once or twice a week if I am not vigilant on taking him out. He is close I feel it!
    Deep Run Traveling "Takoda" (12/05/12)

Deep Run Easygoing Ezekial "Zeke" (04/13/17)

lab1 is offline Junior Member

I love those pups I'm not saying anything new here but yeah...it just takes time..my dog stop doing it at home at about 4 months old...i just get a bunch of treats in my pocket and when she did her stuff out side like Tammy said its a party
    i used to let her out during that time like 4-5 times a day so i didn't even gave her a chance to do it inside...only in the night when she cant hold it...but you just ignore it...getting mad wont get you anywhere with your dog...just clean it up and move on like its never happened...after a couple of weeks your dog will learn that doing outside gets him a treat so he will just hold it in until you let him out....and when he is older that wont a problem any more
    my dog is pretty well trained for most stuff but there is one thing i just cant stop her from doing...she always takes the toilet paper out of the bathrooms and make a mess everywhere...no mater what i did this habit wont go away. any tips ??

she is 3 years old now not a puppy

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

How big is your crate? It should be just big enough for a pup to turn around comfortably and lay down to sleep. If it is larger put something in the crate to block off a section to make it smaller. Dogs and pups will not want to soil in their sleeping area but if the crate area is too big they will do so.

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Moose is trying to ask, but he's not very vocal about it. I'm thinking about getting a bell for the back door. It's frustrating at times, but he'll catch on. Patience is a virtue! LOL
    Dozer was the easiest dog in the world to potty train.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

JustinNC is offline Junior Member

Grrrr we just picked our puppy up Saturday. I've taken him outside anytime he stops to sniff more than two or three times, including a couple times at night when he whines...apparently it wasnt THE time. Both nights at home he has gone #2 in the crate, and twice last night. I took him out at 11:30 when I went to bed, 12:30, 2:20, and he peed once or twice, cant remember....got him at 4AM when I heard him and he was sitting there happy as could be with a "tootsie roll" in the crate. Cleaned it up, went back to bed, back up at 6:45 for work, and there it was again. Went to work, left him with the wife (out of crate) and he was ok. She set him on the floor to do something, there it was. She took him outside, and nothing....came back in, and cleaned him up well, and was sitting with him on the bed...well there he went again.

I know it's patience, age, and consistency, but I hope Im doing it right, but if I have no warning, and it's the middle of the night, idk what to do? I can't tell him "I want attention" whimper from "I gotta potty" whimper yet. Knock on wood, he's not gone #1.

His feeding times are in the AM when we get up, and yesterday, about 4:30PM. I tried several times all day to get him to go outside. No luck except for peeing...and we do celebrate the small victories.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast