New puppy scared on walks

Thread: New puppy scared on walks

Tcard22 is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew puppy scared on walks

Hi everyone!!

Ranger is about 10.5 weeks old and I have a question about his fear of being away from our house and what we can do to calm him without reinforcing the scared behavior.

Whenever we go for a walk away from the house, he seems to get nervous when we get say 50 yards away...he stops, looks back towards the house as if to say "where we goin? And why?",..in addition, when we get that far away, he gets extra scared at cars passing by (most cars he is fine with, it's more big trucks or loud vehicles) - and he wants to bee-line it back to our house. we have never soothed him or said "it's okay" when he gets scared.

Yesterday I used treats to keep him moving and while that worked, I don't want to have to dish out a bunch of treats just to walk around the block....something that he should love to do...

Any advice?

image.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Bauer was the same way! Once we would get away from the house, he would sit down, whine, not want to move, etc. I live in the country, and don't have a "block" to walk around. He was funny because as soon as we got to the turn around point and he knew we were heading home; he walked as nicely as can be. Didn't like walking away, but loved walking home.

I started carrying him away from the house, and then when we were far enough I would put him down and let him walk. Eventually he got over it. Good Luck!

I'm sure you know, but just in case . . . Please be careful taking him into places with unknown dogs until he is fully vaccinated.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Hes too young to be walking in the neighborhood. wait until hes had another couple of sets of shots
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Koivu was nervous too, but got over it with time.
    I did use treats when he was younger or even kibble taken out of his breakfast.
    He hasn't gotten a treat on a walk in quite a while now, but it was effective and helpful when he was learning.

Tcard22 is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the input everyone! I think using some of his bfast kibble is a good idea to keep him motivated.

Dani - he has had his second round of shots and our vet said short walks up the block were ok...and we are talking about pretty short distances at this point. Is the general rule no walks until all shots??