Help! Dog Barking in Backyard!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Dog Barking in Backyard!!!

mlfawcett is offline Junior Member

DefaultHelp! Dog Barking in Backyard!!!

Hi! I have a year old chocolate lab named Lily. Overall she is a great dog and listens well. We are having some issues with her barking in the backyard. She barks at strangers walking in the alley, our neighbors, cars and kids playing outside!! We always call her inside when she starts barking because we don't want to annoy anyone. Does anyone have any recommendations? We are thinking of trying a bark collar but don't know much about them. Any suggestions or training tips? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I think your dog sounds bored. How much time does she spend outside alone? I have never had a lab that did much barking but I have never let any of my dogs outside alone either.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I think it might be bored, or lonely. Tess used to bark non stop when I got her. Odd as she had been outside 24/7 so couldn't understand it. I think she was unsure of things and didn't want to go back to that type of life. I started taking her for walks before I went to work. On the weekend I put her in her house for about 5 mins with a treat before I shut the door. I extended it. I gave a high value treat if she didn't bark. By the end of the weekend she had almost learned no barking meant treat.

She doesn't bark much now.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Dylan barks when he first goes out into the garden in order to scare away any intruders.

HE used to bark non stop even while I was out there with him, but with a few months of " NO BARK" and holding his jaw shut ( gently ) he now listens and carries on doing the same thing. :-)

I'm joking - he has improved somewhat. I've considered a shock collar too, as D always humps J when we are at the dog park, but the barking outside is not much of an issue as he is rarely out there on his own for more than a minute or two and one of the main reasons for the barking ( a neighbours cat ) is scared off during the first few minutes.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Sounds bored to me also, but as someone said, I am always outside with my dog's.

I am not a fan of bark collars. The dog can get into a vicious cycle of bark/yelp at the shock/get shocked again/yelp etc. I have tried them on two dog's, and the GSP ended up peeing in his crate and terrified (I was trying to stop his barking in his crate if I went outside with other dog's). I prefer an ecollar, where I have direct control over the shock.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

bett is offline Senior Member

bring him in.
    most dogs dont want to be outside (labs) but rather be with the family.
    and if you're not home, it's asking for trouble.
    just my opinion.

Thanks for the advice! She is rarely outside alone. She is only alone outside when I let her out to go to the bathroom, which I watch her closely from the window. I keep her super super busy with dog daycare, walking, dog parks and fetch. She has something going on everyday. So I would be surprised if its a lack of exercise. She only barks when she sees someone walking by or driving by in the alley. I was told by my trainer to try the collar that sprays a mist of liquid in the face. Has anyone tried that before? I also call her inside when she is barking and say Quiet and give her a treat. She still seems to bark at people walking by. Any suggestions?

bett is offline Senior Member

maybe she thinks she's protecting you?

Yah either protecting me or she just wants to say hello to the person walking by. Either way I don't want my neighbors to hate her because he barks. I need to stop her somehow.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

it's fairly normal for dogs to bark and things/sounds. I wouldn't make a big deal of it. You can work on "hush/no bark" as a command.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast