5mths old attention barking? Need advice!

Thread: 5mths old attention barking? Need advice!

grlzmommy is offline Member

Default5mths old attention barking? Need advice!

His barking at us almost seems to me like he's trying to "talk back" he usually only starts it if he is doing something he shouldn't and I tell him no, then he gets mad at starts barking at me, he's pretty persistent with it too, I've read to ignore it but he's pretty relentless he'll keep going. It seems like the more i ignore it the madder he gets. It's hard to pinpoint why he's doing it, I don't know if he's doing it for the attention or if he's trying to be the alpha. He follows commands great and listens very well for the most part, it's like he gets in a bad mood and needs to take it out. He doesn't bark in his crate he actually really likes it. Other than the barking at us he doesn't bark......part of me thinks it attention b/c if someone comes over and doesn't give him attention he barks at them like "how dare you not pet me!" We've been trying to get people to not give him attention until he's sitting so he isn't jumping on everyone and when they turn their back to him he barks.
    He doesn't bark at people outside or walking by or other dogs either.
    Thanks for any advice!!!
    He's been doing this for awhile, I had posted awhile ago about it, he was doing it at meals and he has stopped that, we just ignored him when he would bark at us while eating now he doesn't bother us at all at dinner. But this barking back at us isn't getting any better. Other than that issue he's great!
    HUNTER 10/15/2012
    Missing you every day Summer
    11/1/2004-09/26/2012

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I am sure it is a bid for attention.

How much activity/exercise is he getting? I see this behavior with Diesel when he is antsy and has energy to burn. I suspect if he is tired, he's not going to be bratty.

You can choose to ignore or you can do a thing called puppy push ups. I did this with my very high energy Dutch Shepherd when she used to push my buttons. You stand in front of your dog and command to sit, then down, then back to stand, then to sit, then to down, back to stand - repeat, repeat, repeat. He gets attention, mental exercise, a bit of physical exercise and a little relationship reinforcement.

I do suspect your puppy might just need more exercise than he is getting.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Love the puppy push up idea!
    He gets a lot of exercise, I am out back with him playing fetch as soon as he's up and at least 4-5x's a day, sometimes I notice he actually seems like he's tired and doesn't want to go to sleep, like a child who gets nuts when they r overtired! Yesterday I tried the approach where you teach him the speak command and quiet command and he picked speak up right away and caught on to shhhh and quiet quickly too. So this morning he started the barking at me and I put my finger to my lips and did shhhh quiet in a low voice and he barked two more times and stopped, so maybe that may work!

Thanks for your response I think the last time I posted you were the only that had advice for me!
    HUNTER 10/15/2012
    11/1/2004-09/26/2012

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

If he's acting overtired, I would crate him. You are right - some puppies will fight sleep and be obstinate and general PITAs when they need a nap. I'd get him in his crate and ignore him if he complains. He'll probably be asleep in minutes.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Yeah I missed that part, once he seems like that when I do put him in his crate, he lays right down and sleeps for an hour or so. Crazy children!
    HUNTER 10/15/2012
    11/1/2004-09/26/2012