5 months still not house broken

Thread: 5 months still not house broken

Jtrued is offline Junior Member

Default5 months still not house broken

Hey guys,

I have had Bodhi since he was 2 months old and he is really having trouble with the concept of not peeing inside. I dont think a 24 hour period has gone by without him peeing in the house at least once.

He never pees in his crate. He never poops in the house. I sometimes take him out every 45 minutes and sometimes 20 minutes later he pees in the house. When I take him out he will even fake pee three times just to get a treat so I know his bladder is empty at the time.

He gets a treat everytime he pees outside. I regulate his water (Probably too much since I am always afraid of him peeing). I have actually been trying to give him more water since I am afraid he is going to get dehydrated. Plus he is bigger than he used to be.

Yesterday I really thought I saw progress. I played with him all night and he didnt pee for 2 hours before I took him out and then he peed right away when he got outside. If he really has to pee he pees on the stairs on his way down to the grass (I live on the third floor). This happens all the time. In fact he will pee while he is walking down the stairs and then pinch it off to go pee in the grass.

Is this going to end?! I have never had this much trouble house breaking a pup! Usually I have accidents at this age but not this many.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

If he is peeing often and lots os small spurts it may be a UTI, might be worth having him checked by a vet.

If not, it's all about you.
    - make sure to clean any and all accidents with an odour neutralising product.
    - Limit his movements so you can always supervise (crate when you cannot). Close doors, tether him to you, use baby gates
    - learn his routine/shedule. by now if you have a shedule for him, he likely has a shedule for elimination. Note when he has accidents and see if there is a link (time of day, activity...)
    - pay more attention to learn and recognize his signals - there are always signals a dog is about to pee.

If he can't make it outside because he has to pee I would be concerned about either a health issue (UTI) or that you are waiting too long to take him outside.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Jtrued is offline Junior Member

He goes out aprox. every 45 min. He just went to the vet for a check up last week and he didnt say anything about a uti. He did have an eye infection though which he gave me eye drops for. I live in an apartment so he doesnt exactly get out of my sight EVER. When he pees inside he does it right in front of me.

I am not really sure about his routine as it changes daily. I am in sales so I always make it home for a walk but the time could be different everyday. In the evening I get home about the same time every night. 5:30. He goes out right away. I bring him back in. Let him run around for a half hour or so then I feed him. After he eats I take him out. After that it is a crap shoot on whether he will pee inside or not. For example last night he didnt go at all inside and I took him out just about every hour maybe a little less since I was playing with him inside. BUT this morning I usually get up, walk him, bring him inside, feed him, I get ready fro work and then I walk him again. He was really good about not going in between eating and me being ready to take him out again yet today just randomly he decided to pee.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Did your vet check his urine? No way to know otherwise.

If he is not lasting 45 minutes, go every 30 minutes. I agree with Tanya - if he is not under your control in the house (not just in your sight line) you are not going to get this under control. Get a longer leash and tie him to your waist while you are in the house. Then when he signals that he is about to pee, interrupt him and get him outside.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Did your vet check his urine? No way to know otherwise.
    If you're not sure, take a fresh urine sample to the vet to check. If there's a problem, you can't housebreak him until it's fixed.
    I noticed that whenever Tony was engaged in "wild" play in the house for a while, he would suddenly stop to pee wherever he was. I think he was thinking more about having fun than concentrating on body functions.
    Hang in there, he will learn.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jtrued View Post
    Hey guys,

I have had Bodhi since he was 2 months old and he is really having trouble with the concept of not peeing inside. I dont think a 24 hour period has gone by without him peeing in the house at least once.

He never pees in his crate. He never poops in the house. I sometimes take him out every 45 minutes and sometimes 20 minutes later he pees in the house. When I take him out he will even fake pee three times just to get a treat so I know his bladder is empty at the time.

He gets a treat everytime he pees outside. I regulate his water (Probably too much since I am always afraid of him peeing). I have actually been trying to give him more water since I am afraid he is going to get dehydrated. Plus he is bigger than he used to be.

Yesterday I really thought I saw progress. I played with him all night and he didnt pee for 2 hours before I took him out and then he peed right away when he got outside. If he really has to pee he pees on the stairs on his way down to the grass (I live on the third floor). This happens all the time. In fact he will pee while he is walking down the stairs and then pinch it off to go pee in the grass.

Is this going to end?! I have never had this much trouble house breaking a pup! Usually I have accidents at this age but not this many.
    Dylan was five months when he came to live with us and was not clean until 12 months old.

I used to put newspaper down on the kitchen floor to soak it up and make cleaning a lot easier ( and less splashing )

Even now, when he is excited we get some minor peeing issues so I cut back on the initial praising /greeting until we are outside.

Takes lots of patience and praise but they eventually get it !