Keeping the dog from running too far from you

Thread: Keeping the dog from running too far from you

Renzo is offline Junior Member

DefaultKeeping the dog from running too far from you

Hello there you guys,

I would like to bring my dog for trails walk or bike or take him to a special beach that we have here where dogs are allowed, but he is not trained to stay close to me and I am afraid that he can run and get lost. How can I start training my Renzo to obey to stay close to me at all times? BTW he is 11 months old.

Thank you

Alfredo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Start training recall. Get a long line, work out in an open field or park, put him in a sit-stay & walk away from him the length of the line & call him to you. Search the forum for "recall" you will get lots of tips! Definitely perfect his recall prior to hiking in trails etc there are tons of distractions for dogs & you would hate to have something horrible happen.

D Bros. is offline Senior Member

Yep, that's a good way. I trained both my boys with a 30 ft. check lead. I would tell him "come" and then reel him in, repeating the command as I did. It didn't take long for either of them to get it.
    My Lab is smarter than your honor student.

Deacon 12/1/1999-4/2/2012 RIP, bestest boy.
    Diesel 3/29/2010 My little hard charger.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

I agree lots of work on the long line is the way to go. You can also work on this at your local dog park off leash. First make sure your dog is hungry. Second, take high value treats. Third take your dog to the dog park. Whenever your dog goes to far in one direction RUN the other direction joyfully calling your dogs name. When your dog gets to you reward. Repeat. You know you are making progress when your dog constantly checks in (figures out where you are). Once your dog is pretty good at recall you can take your dog on hikes, but your job isn't done. While on walks in the woods hide from your dog and do what you can to generally get your dog to lose track of you. Of course, you must always know where your dog is, but make your dog work on finding you all the time. My dog has gotten to the point where she will not choose a fork in a trail because she knows the one she chooses will most likely be WRONG. But overall, everything is FUN for her. AND NEVER EVER CALL YOUR DOG TO YOU AND THEN PUNISH YOUR DOG. The greatest thing you can do is make your dog 100% believe that being with you is fun and rewarding.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackercodemonkey View Post
    AND NEVER EVER CALL YOUR DOG TO YOU AND THEN PUNISH YOUR DOG. The greatest thing you can do is make your dog 100% believe that being with you is fun and rewarding.
    So important!! It can be scary when they take off & don't return as soon as you call them, but don't ever scold when he actually does run back to you if this happens, and don't call his name in vain. No one wants to come to a person that is pissed off lol. Dogs are good at the game "I can't hear you!"

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

I thought of something else. Your dog is running off because something out there is currently more interesting than what is happening where your dog is at. It could also just be the act of running. You should give your dog what he or she wants but on your terms as a reward. If your dog wants to run to his buddy across the dog park call your dog over, and then joyfully release your dog to hang out with his buddy. In the end, your dog should get everything they want (exercise, food, affection), but on your terms. Getting your dog to do what you want is a partnership and your dog has every bit as much say on how well the partnership goes as you do.