Crate Training Questions

Thread: Crate Training Questions

Tcard22 is offline Junior Member

DefaultCrate Training Questions

Hey Everyone,

I have been addicted to this forum and am amazed at all the great advice that is given out - my wife and I will be picking up our new pup in about 2 weeks and have been doing a great deal of reading up on proper care and training for a pup.

We have a few questions, as well as a few contradictory items we have read about and would love to get the advice of the experts on this forum:

1) Should we bring the crate with us in the car the first time we pickup the pup?
    2) Can we move crate placement within the house or is it best to keep it in one location (for example, bringing into the bedroom at night)?
    3) Should we feed the pup in the crate?
    4) How long (second/minutes) must the puppy be quiet before we should let him out (understanding that we should never let him out while he is crying/barking)?
    5) I will be working from home, however, is it still important to follow a strict puppy schedule of kenneling even while i am home? If so, should I allow a certain amount of crying/whining in the crate if I am sure it is not due to having to relieve himself?

Thanks!
    Tyler

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tcard22 View Post
    1) Should we bring the crate with us in the car the first time we pickup the pup?
    2) Can we move crate placement within the house or is it best to keep it in one location (for example, bringing into the bedroom at night)?
    3) Should we feed the pup in the crate?
    4) How long (second/minutes) must the puppy be quiet before we should let him out (understanding that we should never let him out while he is crying/barking)?
    5) I will be working from home, however, is it still important to follow a strict puppy schedule of kenneling even while i am home? If so, should I allow a certain amount of crying/whining in the crate if I am sure it is not due to having to relieve himself?
    1 - if you can secure the crate in the vehicle that is a safe way to travel wtih the pup yes.
    2 - I would consider multiple crates. But you can move the crate - I recommend having the crate in the bedroom at night
    3 - Yes
    4 - depends how bad the crying is. at first, if the dog is barking/whining non stop you will have to take a second break as a success. But teh goal is to try and reduce the barking. Note that at night
    5 - find a shedule that works for you and teh puppy. it may be hard the first few days, but you can switch it up to some time in the crate, some time in an ex-pen so he can play a little and breaks to play.

Regarding knowing if a cry is for potty or just for attention. Put the dog in teh crate empty (have them potty before crating). this way you know any initial crying is just for attention. If a cry comes after they wake up from a nap, they probably have to pee. If it is still crate time, what you can do is non-chalently leash them and take them out to potty, then crate them again. no fun.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Tcard22 is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the advice Tanya,

Should feeding in his kennel be something that we continue throughout his life or is it simply a tactic to help get him acquainted and used to being in his kennel?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Feeding in the crate is great to get a puppy comfy and happy in the crate. It is completely up to you if you continue this. Congrats on your new puppy and welcome!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

I have never fed my two dogs when they were pups in their crate though I do give small treats when they go in. Regarding working at home time, the one thing to remember is that a puppy is safest in their crate so if you can't watch him closely, better to crate him for his safety and for house training. you might start a bit of a routine when you are at home as far as taking him out for a bit at the same times each day and playing and having him go potty, then back in the crate if you have to get back to work and can't watch him closely. Sounds like you have done good prep work before hand.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I think you will work out what works best for you and your pup.

I feed in the crate to get them used to it.
    I move my crates around if needed, but usually stay in the same place. It depends on how the dog handles it. Tess is happy where ever. Ernie likes routine so doesn't appreciate moving the crate or letting her sleep in his crate.

I work from home a lot and they get used to my routine, but with a puppy I would have regular crate time and alone time. Reason I say that is Kassa became too close to me and fretted if I wasn't here. I think they get used to me either being home or taking them to work and if I am not home Tess goes to bed with my shirt or sits on the deck with my shirt waiting for me to come home.

I am sure you are excited.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Upsydayz is offline Junior Member

Our dog was an adult when we adopted him, but it was a necessity for the crate to be in our room at night. We tried it in the living room, and he cried and whined, so I moved it to our room the next night, and he never made a peep and hasn't since when crated.
    We typically only crate at night and if we're leaving for a while. For the latter, we give him a kong to entertain him while we are gone. We keep one prepped in the freezer all the time so that we can grab it when we need to.

Feeding in the crate did seem to help Neptune learn to love his crate. In the beginning, he was very reluctant to go in it at all, but between feedings in/near the crate, dropping treats in randomly while he's crated, and moving the crate into our room, he will now go to his crate on his own when he wants a nap or break.