Retriever questions

Thread: Retriever questions

rugernmoesma is offline Member

QuestionRetriever questions

My 4 1/2 month old Nala doesn't seem to have much interest in retreiving. We had a beautiful day today so we tried to throw around the ball for a bit. She had no interest, actually she would chase after the ball but never retrieve it. We have played with a wing in the house a few times over the last couple of weeks and she would hunt for the wing and then always bring us the wing. Today there was no interest. Do you think it was just because it was the first nice day and she was just distracted?
    Kim~

Nicki July 1993-July 2, 2004
    Ruger June 10,2004-October 24, 2012
    Mocha November 11, 2004-
    Nala October 13, 2012-

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Susan_MLL is offline Senior Member

She's very young, many retrievers wont actually start retrieving until they are older. She can feel your emotions.. no matter what, continue to just have fun and let her do it her way. Eventually she should get it. Every blue moon there will be that dog that for whatever reason either does not like to retrieve or does not like water.. Oh well, could be worse :-)

Danika & Eva

With puppies they are easily distracted. Many have to have that desire built up too. Start with a few short retrieves in a hallway, 2-3 at a time at most. Do this daily, always stop with the pup wanting more. Eventually move outside when the hallway is going well. 4.5 months is still very young so just give it some time and have fun with it!

One thing I forgot to mention is that puppies often start teething around the same age of your pup and even pups with a high retrieving desire already built in will refuse to retrieve because their mouth hurts. If you feel the retrieving desire is lacking you can try using a rolled up sock or paint roller while he/she teeths as that won't hurt the mouth too much but even then some pups will refuse completely. If he/she is teething you might just want to focus on basic obedience for a few months and then just work on retrieving again around 6 months when the adult teeth are fully in.

The key with puppies is making it a game and always keeping it fun. Also stop while they want more.
    Last edited by awackywabbit; 02-18-2013 at 10:25 AM.
    Deep Run Traveling "Takoda" (12/05/12)

Deep Run Easygoing Ezekial "Zeke" (04/13/17)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

All 3 of my Labs don't retrieve except to go and get something I ask for. I have tried treating Ernie when he brings me back the ball or stick and still will only do it once or twice. I always laugh when I go the park and the dogs sniff while I throw a ball and run around the park retrieving it.

Kass would if she thought a treat was involved, but didn't really want to.

Gems the B/C would retrieve for hours on end.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

rugernmoesma is offline Member

Whats funny is that our chocolate lab that prefers to be indoors no matter what the weather but has a huge desire to retrieve only his ball will do so until he falls over or we force him to stop because we are tired of throwing the ball. Maybe it is just to early for Nala or maybe like someone else said its that her mouth is sore. I will be patient.....
    Kim~

Nicki July 1993-July 2, 2004
    Ruger June 10,2004-October 24, 2012
    Mocha November 11, 2004-
    Nala October 13, 2012-

poopypuppy is offline Senior Member

Late response here but:
    At about 8-10 weeks Gracie still spent most of her time inside. I could not get her to fetch in the kitchen. A good friend came over for a visit. He sat on the floor and made quick movements with the toy on the floor.....as you would to excite a kitten...then throw. Just like that Gracie was game !!
    Gracie is a fetching machine now.......a bit of trouble letting go each time....but we are getting there.
    Last edited by poopypuppy; 03-02-2013 at 05:05 PM.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

She's teething.. if you can find some LIVE pigeons, use those. Much more stimulating than wings.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014