Peanut butter for a puppy?

Thread: Peanut butter for a puppy?

JewlsLuvDogs is offline Junior Member

DefaultPeanut butter for a puppy?

Hi! I would love to make a little occupying treat for my 8 week puppy. I wanted to spread some peanut butter inside a toilet roll for him to chew on and eat. I was wondering if it's alright to give them peanut butter

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I would NOt use a toilet paper roll, it will be chewed up and eaten in no time. He will likely eat and swallow the roll rather than lick the tp, the rolls are very very weak in stucture.

there are toys yiou can put peanut butter in. But I would use very little for a pupy that young, maybe a teaspoon per day max.]

here is an example of a great toy: KONG Classic - Kong

ETA: with the kong, you can fill it up with kibble or other less fatening things. Once the dog knows how to use it, you can FREEZE it so make it harder for them. if can be a good way to feed a meal now and then (just in there) to make meal time last longer (and give you a break). With adult dogs I put half kibble, a little bit of peanut butter, then fill it up with kibble, dribble a wee bit of water, then freeze. they get one per day.
    Last edited by Tanya; 02-06-2013 at 12:12 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Samson is offline Senior Member

Tanya is right ! Peanut butter may be a tad too rich for a young stomach but even a smear will promote some interest in a kong !

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oh okay I'll buy a kong toy from my local Pet's at Home, I'm staying with Milo alone for like 2 hours and I want to keep him occupied a little :3

are you crate training?

Umm, not really, my parents are going to buy a travelling crate soon and we will train him that its not a punishment and things like that. But we don't sure a crate for him to sleep in because he doesn't get up from his bed, and he doesn't wake up in the middle of the night either, he likes his bed so at the moment I dont see the need for him to be in a crate xoxo

Samson is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JewlsLuvDogs View Post
    Umm, not really, my parents are going to buy a travelling crate soon and we will train him that its not a punishment and things like that. But we don't sure a crate for him to sleep in because he doesn't get up from his bed, and he doesn't wake up in the middle of the night either, he likes his bed so at the moment I dont see the need for him to be in a crate xoxo
    That won't last believe me ! Crate train him while he is young !

please research crate training and why it is important. He is likely to have an accident on the bed if that is your plan. Even if he is not destructive now, he may well be when he is older and could not only destroy your stuff but seriously injure himself or eat something to make him sick.

having him on the bed when you are home is one thing. but when you leave the house he will not just nap on the bed for the two hours your are gone. even if you do not crate him at night when he sleeps, he shoudl be crated for his safety when you are out of the house.

I think you misunderstood me a little, he isn't going to be alone. I'm going to be with him but it's my first time alone with him, and I wanted a toy to keep him occupied for maybe 20 minutes while I do something else. Yes I do agree we should crate train him and my parents will get one ASAP xoxo

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JewlsLuvDogs View Post
    I think you misunderstood me a little, he isn't going to be alone. I'm going to be with him but it's my first time alone with him, and I wanted a toy to keep him occupied for maybe 20 minutes while I do something else. Yes I do agree we should crate train him and my parents will get one ASAP xoxo
    Someone will be home with him all day every day forever?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.