Exercise ideas anyone?

Thread: Exercise ideas anyone?

JennaL is offline Junior Member

DefaultExercise ideas anyone?

Hello all!

I just want to say thanks to all of you for posting great info and experiences! I've had dogs my whole life but my new lab puppy is the first large breed I've ever had. I've learned alot here by lurking (I've always been a lurker on forums and never a poster) and decided to jump in and say hi and ask a few questions.

My chocoate lab is almost 10 weeks old and doing very well. He is going to the back door to go outside, although he still has an accident if we don't watch him carefully. We are finally starting to get a handle on the nipping/mouthing which is a relief. He is learning sit, stay, and come. I'm so proud!

My question is, since it is so cold here in Indiana, and since he hasn't had his entire series of vaccinations yet, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for indoor exercise? I can't wait to be able to take him on long walks but I know I have to be patient (thanks to this site, I learned that I need to be mindful of too much exercise and his growing bones and/or joints - something I never heard of before). When the temperature is above freezing, we go out and play in the yard but when it's nasty outside, I need something for him to do indoors.

Also, I know that labs are an intelligent breed and I was wondering what you all do to stimulate your dogs' minds? He has plenty of toys to play with but I'm sure he gets bored with the same old thing. I would.

Thanks in advance and I apologize for such a long post. I do tend to ramble!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mrswolf is offline Junior Member

Mine loves pushing a ball down the stairs. She will push it down and try to catch it ( if she doesn't I throw it back up and she starts again). 10 mins of that wears her out, especially when she gets it and starts swiping it about.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Fetching up and down stairs can be good exercise for an adult dog, but not good for a puppy. The jolting on the joints can be harmful. (I did this with my first dog, Belle, before I knew better, and she turned out perfect (excellent OFA), but it can be harmful.

How about hide and seek with your pup? Start with a treat (milk one or whatever), and start easy by hiding it around a corner, then another room, then under something....or try a ball, or whatever your pup wants to find whether cony able, or as a play object.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Welcome.

We don't have snow, so really no reason not to take mine out every day, but some days it was too wet and winter I get a tad lazy. Your pup may be a bit young for some of the things, but I did find games, get my slippers, which hand is the treat, roll or high five, please give me your paw and basic obedience training. I found if I tire them out mentally and a little less physical it worked.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

My pup (almost 9 months old) also loves to "find" toys when I hide them. Also he know the difference between "squeaky toy" "big bone" "big stick" "steering wheel" and I will leave them where ever and tell him to go get ........... it didn't take long for him to know which was which. Just everytime he plays with one I say (very excited) "ohhhh, squeaky toy" As you really don't want to play that until he knows which is which. Never set your pup up for failure. Only set him up for success. Lab puppies are smart, and they love to learn.

JennaL is offline Junior Member

Thanks so much for the excellent ideas. I'm going to try them out and see what works for us. The only stairs we have in our house are to the basement and he's not allowed down there yet (too much to get into) but I do love the hide and seek idea.

This is an excellent site! I spent most of yesterday on here browsing different threads and let me tell you, it's such a relief to read that other people are going through similiar things as I am. And I appreciate all the advice given, too.