Separation anxiety in 6 month old pup

Thread: Separation anxiety in 6 month old pup

Zolnachic is offline Junior Member

DefaultSeparation anxiety in 6 month old pup

I'm hoping someone has some advice. I have a 6 month old black lab puppy who has terrible separation anxiety. I've crate trained him, and he's good at night and if he's in the crate while we are home, but the moment we put our shoes on, he starts pacing. Our neighbors have heard him barking like crazy if we leave the house. He also drools all over his crate while we are gone. Our vet has given us some training advice that has not irked so far. He said if it does not work he would like to put Bear on a trial of some meds to see if they help. Any suggestions are appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

smokey is offline Senior Member

Just my opinion, but I would go with meds as a last resort, at 6 months I would say with some training you have a good chance of getting to the source of the problem rather than covering it with the bandaid (meds) Like I said that is my opinion only!

Have you tried leaving for short periods and maybe just hanging around outside so you can hear what he does? Try not making a big deal or saying goodbye when you leave and not making a big deal with a big greeting when you come back?

I also really wear Smokey out if we have to leave and he will be crated for more than an hour or two. We play fetch/frisbee for a good half hour or 45 minutes so that he will not be in his crate with pent up energy. I stuff a kong and leave him that along with his big nylabone. I also leave the tv or radio on for my dogs when we are gone.

I'm sure you will get more advice from others who have had your issue, Good Luck!
    Smokey 4/25/2012

Tanya is offline Senior Member

how long have you had him and is this new behaviour or has he always done this?

What have you tried so far? (so we don't just repeat what you have already done).

how much exerice and training does the dog get daily?

Has there been any change to the household? New routine, new person, someone good, new activity on the shedule...

for the record - I would work with a trainer/behaviorist before looking at meeds.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

I tend to take a different view. I tend to think that medication is a good way to break the habit, train during the meds and then wean off the meds. We did this when we inherited my husbands mothers Shih Tzu and it worked well. He needed meds for about 6 months.

Rosie's Rents is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zolnachic View Post
    I'm hoping someone has some advice. I have a 6 month old black lab puppy who has terrible separation anxiety. I've crate trained him, and he's good at night and if he's in the crate while we are home, but the moment we put our shoes on, he starts pacing. Our neighbors have heard him barking like crazy if we leave the house. He also drools all over his crate while we are gone. Our vet has given us some training advice that has not irked so far. He said if it does not work he would like to put Bear on a trial of some meds to see if they help. Any suggestions are appreciated
    We were dealing with the same issue with our six month old pup. Training over the course of four days helped alot and we still do it now. We practiced arrivals and departures - jackets on, shoes on and car keys to desensitize her to those triggers. Then we'd stand at the door - closed, open, open and in doorway, open and out of sight, and finally closed. Started the car for a few and then go through our arrival. No celebrating or greeting just have her sit in crate and let her out. We'd ignore her for a few minutes and once she was calm we would praise her.

After four days Rosie was MUCH better. She still whimpers but is much more calm in the crate. We also leave music on and give her a kong stuffed with goodies when we leave.

ernbar64 is offline Junior Member

Our 8 year old Bichon is fine at home but not if we travel and take her with us. Last time we visited our daughter at the University in Columbia, SC, her room mates had to sit with Coco and actually carry her like a baby while we went to dinner. Thank God for those two sweet girls that baby sat Coco. The girls said Coco was crying like a baby while we were gone!

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I have a 6 year old Lab/Border Collie cross with separation anxiety, along with many other phobias. We tried the meds for about 6 months and they did help a little but not enough that I would repeat them. I found the training, as mentioned above, making no big deal out of comings and goings, kongs and leaving a TV on when we are all gone at the same time have worked as well as anything is going to work. Maxx is much easier going, he knows he is getting a kong, typical Lab, lol!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.