Jumping up

Thread: Jumping up

elinjons is offline Junior Member

DefaultJumping up

Ruby is five months old, and she has stopped biting me. She does not bark or cry, she has been fully housetrained for two months now, and she is playful, sweet and affectionate. I take her out for short walks twice a day, and that is when she stops being a good puppy. She pulls the lead and if we meet anyone, people or other dogs, sho goes wild, trying to jump on them. She is so completely out of control that she is like a fish on a line, and ends up with her lead twisted around my arms and legs. She is not used to a lot of people, it is just me and my husband and we do not have visitors to the house. She goes to puppy training, and I can hardly hold on to her lead, er, let alone do the training exercises. What can I do? Any advice please?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bigyellow is offline Junior Member

I have a similar story. We have a six month old and he has done very well in puppy and basic manners classes. However he has an issue with jumping on counters and people.

The counter jumping has gotten much better since I started standing cookie sheets on a small towel on the counter. When he jumps to get the towel, the cookie sheet slides off the counter and so it has created a bad experience associated with the counter.

We are still working on the people jumping and like you, we don't have a ton of visitors so we take him to our downtown area and walk around the streets which are filled with people. When we see someone we make him sit and treat/praise when he ignores them. This will take time and always remember she is a puppy so be patient with her!

Also make sure the puppy has calmed down before allowing anyone to pet her which can be very hard but it all teaches the puppy how to react/ behave so...

Good luck and hang in there! You are not alone and it isn't just your puppy that acts up. Just stay consistent with training/corrections and with time, things will get better!!

Jessica1989 is offline Junior Member

Don't feel bad elinjons... I am in the same situation. Jay is almost 4 months and his only real behavior issue is when we take him out places. Same story.. He is primarily with me and my husband so he is use to being with us and he gets really excited when he meets someone new.

Bigyellow - I like your advice of having them sit before allowing anyone to pet them. If I can make my family do this, we might make some progress. Thanks for the advice!!
    -Jess & Jay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ayr
    ayr is offline Junior Member

We just started puppy classes/training last night. Annabelle gets so overly excited when she sees new people. The jumping is out of control. The trainer told us to have people turn their backs to them (which we had been doing) and to have them either all four paws on the ground or sit before the person will turn around and pet and/or give attention. What we have problems with are people (strangers, etc) who will not do that for us (because it is hard to make a stranger turn around lol). Anyhow, she told us to say "we are currently training our dog, can you help us out?" So, that is what we are going to do when we are out and strangers insist on giving Annabelle attention

Dondavis3 is offline Junior Member

My currant lab puppy is too young to do this yet - but in a few more weeks ill begin taking her once a day to our pet smart store ( local pet store)

They encourage their customers to bring their pets into the store.

Lots of good social training on those trips.

But the puppy needs to be trained to sit 1 st.

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

My puppy was 5 months old when he jumped on me, knocking me down and I broke my hip. $30,000 in medical bills and 4 months later, I'm just starting to return to work a few days at a time. I would deal with the jumping. If your dog jumps on and injures a stranger, you're opening yourself up to a lawsuit. With Jack, scolding worked. He hates to be scolded. We tried turning our backs, he simply ran to the other side, as often as we turned away from him, he came up front. But different dogs learn differently. Good luck. Just be aware that a 5 month old lab is a lot of puppy jumping on someone.

Rosie's Rents is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by elinjons View Post
    Ruby is five months old, and she has stopped biting me. She does not bark or cry, she has been fully housetrained for two months now, and she is playful, sweet and affectionate. I take her out for short walks twice a day, and that is when she stops being a good puppy. She pulls the lead and if we meet anyone, people or other dogs, sho goes wild, trying to jump on them. She is so completely out of control that she is like a fish on a line, and ends up with her lead twisted around my arms and legs. She is not used to a lot of people, it is just me and my husband and we do not have visitors to the house. She goes to puppy training, and I can hardly hold on to her lead, er, let alone do the training exercises. What can I do? Any advice please?
    My wife and I have been dealing with the same issues. We've got a six month old puppy named Rosie that loves people and will jump up at the slightest chance. Sit works every now and then but we just started using the gentle leader and that has settled her down tremendously. She sits as soon as we stop walking and will attempt to pull once or twice before the gentle leader corrects her. Might be worth a try.

We've got Rosie in puppy classes too and since she's so food driven it is pretty easy to get her to do all of the exercises. She's gets a little excited when she sees the trainer with treats and us with treats and that's when we utilize the sit command to curb the jumping. Entice her with treats to get her to pay attention to you and stay close so you can do the exercises. It's worked for us so far.

Best of luck!

elinjons is offline Junior Member

We use the gentle leader for Ruby, as well as a lead on her collar, but she still pulls a lot and goes wild when we meet people on the path and even wilder if they have a dog. We took her to a field where dogs can run off the lead, and she saw some people in the distance and bolted. I am 70 and it almost killed me running after her.