When will he calm down?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When will he calm down?

Diwakar is offline Junior Member

DefaultWhen will he calm down?

Hello,

Paris has started behaving, and doing his business outside, however, he still is an energy punch! A typical scenario: I take him for walk almost 3 times a day, and at the end of the walk, I let him free to play and run around, play fetch, etc. The problem is, he starts eating all sort of bullshit there is on the ground - pebbles, mud, leaves, flowers and what not..pheww.. he is such a sneaky little monster that no matter how much I try to not let that happen, he still manages to chew a few. Is this normal? or should I be taking strict steps to prevent it? sometimes this also causes him to puke in the night..

Another thing, he just loves people.. whenever there is someone around, he behaves as if there is no tomorrow and people sometimes get scared.. he just runs around them, licking and in between the legs..

How can I reduce this intensity? or should I at all? not that I dont love him like that, in fact he is so adorable when he plays, but I am concerned about his safety..

Cheers!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

smokey is offline Senior Member

Teaching "leave it" has been wonderful for us! Smokey will put any and everything in his mouth if given the opportunity! I try and discourage running around or jumping on and licking people, I ask Smokey to sit and let people give him attention after he sits, he's too big to be excited and jumping at people. I met an 8 year old lab last month that still acted as as playful and excited as my 8 month old, so the settling down part...don't know what to tell ya. Training and rewarding good behavior along with making sure that he gets loads of exercise are what are working for us.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Not trying to sound snarky, but the only way to stop the behaviors you're talking about is training- "Leave it" to stop picking up things, "Sit" to be petted, etc. I know it's hard with a puppy, especially a Lab. Just be consistant and it will eventually click. Also, when you let Paris have that great free time to run around, leave a leash on him. For a young, not totaly trained dog, I'd go with about 15 feet (I almsot broke my ankle with a 25 foot "drag line"). That way, you can grab it to keep him out of trouble, and also to prevent him from just running up to strangers or possibly into the road. I think Caleb was almost 2 before he was lose out in our yard without a leash dragging (by then I was using a 6 foot).

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    ...I met an 8 year old lab last month that still acted as as playful and excited as my 8 month old, so the settling down part...don't know what to tell ya...
    My vet's answer would be, "The day before they die." He's right in a way- one of the things we love about Labs in our house is that they are perpetual puppies. The only difference I've seen is that, once they hit about 3 years old they're more controlled- as long as they've been taught manners. There is nothing worse than a dog with no manners (no matter how big/small they are).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

As I've posted in here before, when Jack was 5 months old (he's 8 1/2 months now) he jumped on me, I lost my balance and broke my hip. $30,000 in medical bills and 14 weeks of not working, I'm just now able to return to work. I'm so thankfull it was me and not a stranger. I knew he was a jumper, but was focusing on other training. Deffinately, as MicksMom & Smokey already told you....teach him to sit and wait for attention. If what happened to me would've been, say a delievery man.....we most likely would have been sued. Puppies are wonderfull, they are NOT too young to learn manners. That will protect the puppy, the owner, and anyone who comes into contact with your puppy.
    Enjoy his energy, just try to channel it.

Jessica1989 is offline Junior Member

Jay has finally got the concept of "leave it" and I never realized how valuable that command can be. It has helped tremendously with him picking up everything he can get into his mouth. He kept picking up rocks and sticks outside as well and he is improving with the leave it command. So, I definitely agree with the other posts.
    -Jess & Jay

Diwakar is offline Junior Member

Well, I have been teaching him "leave it" (I call it "give") and it kinda works out very well most of the times. However, when he is in that cranky crazy mood running around, he just wont listen.. I hope he learns to obey his commands 100% soon enough.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

he will learn what you teach him. it doesn't happen like magic, there is no switch that will go off one day soon changing him into a calm dog that listens 100%. plus, he's a living breathing dog with personality - he is never going to be 100% no dog is!

you have to set him up to suceed as well. change your approach, be one step ahead. it takes time to figure out how to do that but it's key to fixing them problem. talking to him when he's in crazy zone is pointless, either give him a place to be crazy and issue no command, or cut him off BEFORE he gets to that zone.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Agree with Tanya. All I want to add is 2 words: Be consistent.

Laceezmom is offline Senior Member

Another idea - teach the command "trade." Working inside with his own toys, he has a toy in his mouth, you have a treat. Tell him to trade and when he drops the toy, pick it up and treat him. Hold the toy for a minute and then give it back. He thinks great - I get the treat and the toy. Sometimes you will keep the toy so he doesn't expect it back every time. When outside I always have a bit of kibble in my pocket and if my dog picks up something I don't want her to have, she drops it and runs to me when I say trade. She is also good at leave it but is even better at trade.

My daughter's lab loves to steal the kids toys and have her chase them to get the toys back - never happens. She was taking all the pool toys one day so in about a minute I taught her trade. Later my son in law was trying to get something from her and yelled trade. She dropped the toy but he had no treats. She slowly walked over to where I was sitting and poked her nose onto my pocket - asking for her reward. Smart puppy.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Laceezmom View Post
    Another idea - teach the command "trade."...
    Our version is "Bring it here". It's kind of snowballed for us, tho- Caleb learned real early if he picked up something he shouldn't have, I'd say "Bring it here", and treat or make a huge fuss over him. It didn't take him long to start finding things to pick up when he wanted attention, then peek around the corner at me making sure I see what he has (even a tiny corner of a piece of paper).

A variation of "trade' for zooming around the yard with something- teach him what he can carry when he does that- a bumper, frisbee, ball, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast