12 weeks old and Crying at night

Thread: 12 weeks old and Crying at night

Madrona is offline Junior Member

Default12 weeks old and Crying at night

We adopted a fox red lab named Copper last Saturday. He'll be 12 weeks old this coming Saturday. We've been crating him at night and he is Completely Unimpressed by this situation. He cries and barks all night. People say that he'll get over this in about a week, but geez it's been 5 days and it shows no signs of slowing. I bought the "Art of Raising a Puppy" by the Monks of New Crete and it said to feed him in the crate so we've started to do that, but it hasn't seemed to help.

The crate is downstairs and we are upstairs. I wear earplugs so it doesn't bother me too much but my husband hears him. And also, I just feel bad for the poor little guy who is obviously so unhappy.

If there is any advice or encouragement, I'd love to hear it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

He may do much better if you move the crate to your bedroom. Its tough for puppies to go from sleeping with siblings to being entirely alone.

Don't take everything in that book as gospel. It's got some very old school dog (meaning - not current) training in it, and one of the authors of that book is very sorry that he put some of the dominance theory stuff into it.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Perhaps we'll try that tonight and see how it goes. I worry about him peeing on the carpet upstairs after being let out in the morning; hopefully we can make it down in time.

I was really proud of him; just after I hit Post on the message above, he whimpered to go outside, I let him out and he peed. That was the first time he let me know he needed to pee before he did it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

crate him in your bedroom and carry him downstairs if you are worreid about accdients.

i highly recommend you read MORE books to get a more complete picture of dogs, training and philosophy's. there is A LOT of literature that is really great, I wouldn't limit myself to one book and use it like a bible.

Signs a dog needs to pee are not just "crying". the way the walk, teh way they stop playing and stand up, the way they sniff - all signs.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Zoe's Doggie daycare is offline Junior Member

Hi I had a puppy retriever stay with me who stays in a crate and if you put a blanket over he just stopped the noise and went to sleep I would try that :-) hope it helps

grlzmommy is offline Member

I also recommend putting the crate in the same room as you, and also covering it, I think it makes them feel more secure
    HUNTER 10/15/2012
    Missing you every day Summer
    11/1/2004-09/26/2012

Gavvo is offline Junior Member

I agree, Place the crate upstairs, dogs are pack animlas. You are their pack.

Yep - putting the crate upstairs seems to work wonders. He is now sleeping soundly through the night.

umpire is offline Banned

Yea move the crate or have some music or tv for the pup to enjoy. I come see our dog name Dudley he in his crate and before i leave i usually leave the tv on for him (he loves to watch it than he sleep most likley no one is home to listen to him cry.

Also makes sure you don't use the crate for punishment/teaching he may get the wrong idea.

Edit: i should read above me if its from the OP

Thanks Umpire.

I'm really pleased with how crate training is going. He goes into his downstairs crate for naps w/ the door open... he rarely complains when I put him in there when I have to leave the house, and he settles right in the upstairs crate at night time. 3 weeks ago I never thought I'd say that!