Thinking we need to change food...any suggestions?!?!

Thread: Thinking we need to change food...any suggestions?!?!

Samantha Smaczniak is offline Junior Member

DefaultThinking we need to change food...any suggestions?!?!

So my 6 1/2 month old yellow lab has been eating Pedigree puppy without issue since she was weaned by the breeder, recently she began with very watery stool/diarrhea. I contacted my vet who suggested I give her some Pepto-Bismol - 3x's a day for 3 days. Her stool was better at the end of the 3 days but still a little runny at times...and she's developed extremely racid smelling gas after eating. The vet has suggested once changing her food but there was no issue at the time, and now I'm thinking that perhaps the food may be causing some, if not all of these issues. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what a good puppy food is that is still affordable...no offense, I love my lil pup but I'm not willing to be put out of house and home just to buy her a special type of food.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'd suspect something besides food to cause diarrhea. Unless the food is bad, dogs don't suddenly develop loose stools eating it. Did you bring a fecal sample to the vet? Your puppy could have giardia which needs medication to resolve.

Better food? Almost anything is better than Pedigree. You might try Purina Pro Plan for sensitive stomach. There is also the Kirkland brand available at either Costco or BJs (forget which).
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Bigyellow is offline Junior Member

I agree that a stool sample should be checked first.
    However, we have used American Natural Premium (recommended and used by our breeder) it is only about $30 for a 30 lb bag.
    It is a local wisconsin product so I'm not sure where you are but it's not available at all outlets.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ernbar64 is offline Junior Member

Our Holly is near 5 months old and when we got her from the pet rescue place, she was being fed Pedigree but i noticed that her stool was very soft. I took her to my vet and had her chacked out. Her stool samples were fine. He suggested a change of diet so I started her on Iams Puppy food. After close to 3 weeks, she still has loose stool so I'm thinking it may be the corn filler in both foods. I got a small bag of Blue puppy food which is chicken based with grains but no corn. Hopefully this will improve her poop. also with Blue you feed less daily cups cause of higher quality of ingredients.

Bigyellow is offline Junior Member

I wanted to add that our previous lab was on Eukanuba for his first 6-9 months but then we switched him over to Pedigree with no problems. He stayed on that for about ten years before we then switched to Hills senior food and he lived to be 16 1/2 great years!!!

So I doubt that its the food in itself that is causing the problem.

Good luck with the pup!!!!!