Crate question for home and vacation home

Thread: Crate question for home and vacation home

grlzmommy is offline Member

DefaultCrate question for home and vacation home

So Hunter is doing awesome in his crate and loves it, sleeps in there all night not problems. His crate is in our bedroom. My question is we frequent my parents beach house A LOT and there is definitely not enough room in the bedroom to fit a crate the size he will need by the summer. It is a small room and sometimes it has to fit us and our 2 kids in their! We had Summer in our room with us when she was there in our bedroom with no problem but at that point she wasn't ever in the crate. So we are going to the beach house this weekend and we are bringing our crate with us to put in the house ( just not in the room) he obviously needs to be in there if we leave for a little bit. But my question is for sleeping at night. He is used to sleeping in the room with us in his crate, would he be okay sleeping on his bed on the floor in our room with the door shut, or do you think this will totally screw him up at home with his crate. Definitely don't want to pedal backwards with training! TIA for your insight!
    HUNTER 10/15/2012
    Missing you every day Summer
    11/1/2004-09/26/2012

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

how old is hunter?
    By summer he may be ready to sleep out of the crate. Even before they can be trusted uncrated when you are gone, dogs can do well out of the crate overnight. But you would need to keep the room puppy proof (and at home I would keep him in your bedroom door closed and puppy proof). Most dogs just sleep all night.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I would just crate him wherever you put the crate and not have him sleep on the bed in the room you are in. I would not upset the apple cart by having him sleep outside of the crate at this point.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

grlzmommy is offline Member

He's 13 weeks old right now, We are going down this weekend for 2 nights, so I will try to keep him in the crate outside the room, My only concern for the summer is there are a lot of people in the house and at night if someone gets up to go to the bathroom or something he would see them and I wouldn't want him to start barking to get out. (which is what he does now if he sees someone getting up at night like one of my kids)
    Thanks for the input!
    HUNTER 10/15/2012
    Missing you every day Summer
    11/1/2004-09/26/2012