Crate at night help!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crate at night help!!!

mlfawcett is offline Junior Member

DefaultDog Barking at Night!!! Help me!

Hi! My 10 month old chocolate lab Lily is causing me a little grief at night. She used to sleep in her crate all night and was totally okay with it. In the last few months we have allowed her to sleep on the bed a few times... I know that was a big mistake! So now when we stick her in the crate at night she sleeps for a bit and then wakes up multiple times a night and barks. She doesn't have to go to the bathroom or anything she just runs to the bed when I let her out... I realize I made a big mistake allowing her in the bed but how do I get her back to sleeping all night in her crate? Also is it possible to train your dog to sometimes sleep in your bed and still be okay with being in a crate all night? It's nice having her sleep with me when I am home alone.

Any ideas? I need help!
    Last edited by mlfawcett; 01-14-2013 at 01:52 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Sorry, but dogs only understand what they are taught and you know what you taught her !!

Back to the crate I say and ignore her barking if possible.

Is her crate in your bedroom ? Put it next to your bed and comfort her with your hand to get her used to it again !

Tanya is offline Senior Member

crate her and ignore the barking. it will take a few nights of sleeplessness but you caused the issue by allowing the dog in your bed then changing your mind. Agree with crate in bedroom.

Another option would be to try leaving the dog out of the crate (but not in the bed - on their own bed). I generally start testing dogs uncrated at night much younger then 10 months. I dog-proof my room, start on a weekend as it sometimes means less sleep and have them sleep on a dog bed in my room (door closed so they can't go on a destruction path).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Ear plugs

I agree let her bark.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

At that age my dogs were not crated at night. Is it that she still has behavior issues when unsupervised or you just don't want her in your bed? 2 different issues. If she is OK out of the crate at night - leave her out. She should only be on your bed by invitation anyway - so she needs to be invited up and if you don't want her there she needs to be OK with being directed to her own bed.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Yah it's totally my fault! I was thinking of leaving her with the crate open in her room. I have a bedroom in my house that has her crate, water dish, toys and dog bed. That way she can sleep in her crate or on her bed. But I would like to get her used to sleeping in a crate at night. I am going to try to just leave her in her room tonight and just let her bark. It will suck for the first few nights but it will also teach her that she doesn't get out when she barks. It will be a long few days.

Ideally when she is older I would like her to sleep on the floor in my room and come on the bed only when asked. Any tips on training your dog to do that?

Thanks!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

just do it. she's old enough to start now. bring her in the room and put a bed there. if she tries to get in the bed kick her off. eventually she'll get it.
    you can also train (during the day) "go to your bed" ( or wahtever words you want to use) to train her to go to "her bed" on command.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

My only concern is if she would chew or eat things when I am asleep.... I obviously would dog proof my room but she is going through a chewing phase... Would it be better to crate her in my room then? Till she is over that phase and I trust her?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mlfawcett View Post
    My only concern is if she would chew or eat things when I am asleep.... I obviously would dog proof my room but she is going through a chewing phase... Would it be better to crate her in my room then? Till she is over that phase and I trust her?
    For many Labs, chewing is a life long activity. My 6 year old chews daily. You need to train her to only chew HER stuff and not yours.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Last night was semi successful...... She stayed in her room where her crate and dog bed are and she slept majority of the night. She woke up and barked three times. She would bark for 15-20 mins and then stop. I had ear plugs in so it didn't bother me. I think tonight I will try locking her up in her crate because I think that way she knows its bedtime and isn't confused with all her toys and water dish around. Its worth a try I guess. She does get up in the morning at like 6:30... What time do most of your dogs get up in the morning? It would be nice to keep her sleeping longer so I can have a full 8 hours of sleep... When she slept in the bed with me those few times I had to wake her up to get her up in the morning so I know she likes to sleep...

Any suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast