Invisible fence help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Invisible fence help!

brc023 is offline Junior Member

DefaultInvisible fence help!

I guess I could ask this here 😀. We are looking into installing an invisible fence on our property. Any recommendations on which is better? A professionally installed fence or a dyi fence?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Better is probably not a funstion of brand, but of the skill and knowledge of the installer. Since some 'pros' aren't very good, a good dyi may be better.

However, I watched an install at my neighbors. He probably laid over 800 feet of wire, crossed a driveway and two walkways. He had the equipment. He was done with the complete installation and hookup in less than an hour, maybe 1.5

The real benefit my neighbor got, was the three training sessions they did with the dog.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

FLMike is offline Member

While I haven't done it I have researched it & agree with H k's Dad. The installation process is critical. Use heavy gauge insulated wire so they don't get shorted. Good luck & please let us know how it works out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

We had ours installed by Invisible Fence, but we have repaired it ourselves. DIY is much cheaper, and as long as you use a heavy guage wire you should be fine. It isn't a perfect solution, and if a wire breaks it is a pain to find the break. We have about 3 acres enclosed with the fence, and one back corner is home to moles. The moles were forever breaking the wire. I finally bought a new section, cut the underground wire, and ran that corner on top of the ground. We haven had a problem since. Good luck!
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

What is your dog's prey drive like? They do not reliably contain all kinds of dogs. Some dogs will run right through them chasing something, shock or no shock and then not come back home.

I have a real fence - would not ever trust an invisible fence.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    What is your dog's prey drive like? They do not reliably contain all kinds of dogs. Some dogs will run right through them chasing something, shock or no shock and then not come back home.

I have a real fence - would not ever trust an invisible fence.

I really don't know about her prey drive as she is only 8 weeks. We have a fenced in backyard but wanted to put an invisible around the entire property because my kids like to spend time out in the front yard playing. I would like to be able to have Chloe join us without worrying about her leaving the yard and i don't want to tie here up. She wouldn't be out their unsupervised. If we let her out on her own (when she gets older)we will use the fenced in backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by BauersMom View Post
    We had ours installed by Invisible Fence, but we have repaired it ourselves. DIY is much cheaper, and as long as you use a heavy guage wire you should be fine. It isn't a perfect solution, and if a wire breaks it is a pain to find the break. We have about 3 acres enclosed with the fence, and one back corner is home to moles. The moles were forever breaking the wire. I finally bought a new section, cut the underground wire, and ran that corner on top of the ground. We haven had a problem since. Good luck!
    Thank you

mss
    mss is offline Member

I would not trust an invisible fence. I am certain that my older dog would easily be enticed by a cheeseburger. Also, the invisible fence does nothing to keep other animals OUT. I have a 6' "real" fence.

CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BauersMom View Post
    When we had an invisible fence installed it had to go through a beautiful established perennial garden. They ran the wire through a garden hose and laid it on top of the ground through the garden and we covered it with mulch. It was a perfect solution. The only time it was a problem is when we had the landscapers do the fall and spring clean up and they would move the hose. Lol. The dogs knew exactly how far they could go....until then.

ernbar64 is offline Junior Member

Wen we lived in South Carolina, Simpsonville to be precise, the house we bought had it installed. At the time, our Lab Buddy learned the boundaries in 3 days. It worked like a charm but you have to keep testing the collar to make certain it works. You can go to any Battery Plus store and pick up their collar capsule and battery, way cheaper than the IF price which is simply abusuve. You must test the collar at least twice monthly, otherwise it may fail and your dog may wander away. It hapenned twice to me but luckully Bud never wandered far from the perimeter boundaries. He's been gone for over 1 1/2 years due to cancer and we still miss him so much! He was sooo special!
    Last edited by ernbar64; 02-05-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast