Help with 12 week old puppies barking

Thread: Help with 12 week old puppies barking

grlzmommy is offline Member

DefaultHelp with 12 week old puppies barking

So Hunter has started to bark at us when we correct him, if he jumps up on us or something he shouldn't he backs down and will bark and show his teeth at us
    He'll also bark when we are sitting eating dinner and he isn't the center of attention.
    Not sure what approach to take to curb the barking. Any help is appreciated!
    HUNTER 10/15/2012
    Missing you every day Summer
    11/1/2004-09/26/2012

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

How are you correcting him? Showing teeth is unusual for a rather young puppy.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

If he jumps up on us or to get to table etc....I yell "HUNTER OFF" he will jump off but then get down and start to bark at me. It's not all the time I'm thinking he's doing it mostly for attention and he's not getting what he wants. I read somewhere to ignore the barking. So if we are eating sometimes he will try to jump on us and I do the off command then he will just stand there and bark at us. So last night I did ignore it and he eventually got the hint and went and laid down. He just seems to be getting more vocal as he Gets older. Not used to it my last lab never did that
    HUNTER 10/15/2012
    11/1/2004-09/26/2012

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

i wouldnt yell but would sternly say "off" and place him off. continually do this.

also, do you have a crate?
    is anyone feeding him from the table?
    sometimes, dinner time can be challenging, and he may need to be removed from the situation. but, i would continue to be consistent with what you expect from him.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Some dogs like to yell back. Just sayin'.

I would work on some non-verbal correction perhaps. I always had great success with stepping back or to the side as soon as the puppy tries to jump. They miss and land back on the floor. 3-4 times in a row, they get that you don't want them jumping. Often they sit down when this happens - then you IMMEDIATELY reward them with lavish attention.

Ignoring during a meal will eventually work - you just have to have more patience and fortitude than the puppy. Stick to your guns and don't reward the barking with attention. He'll stop.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Well he does obey the command when I say off he immediately does and after he does get down is when he does the barking.
    No one is feeding him from the table that's a huge rule especially this young I didn't want him to get in the habit of begging but apparently it didn't help.
    I just don't like how he barks at us after he is given the off command. It seems to me like its for attention or he's not getting what he wants so he barks about it.
    He learned all the basic commands very well and he gets a lot of praise when he does all the right things so he's picking up great on that. I just can't seem to figure out how to make him realize the barking is bad.
    HUNTER 10/15/2012
    11/1/2004-09/26/2012

Oh and yes he does have a crate and does great with it, I did crate him once or twice when we were eating but I kind of want him to learn to be in the situation and not bark. Thanks for the insight!
    HUNTER 10/15/2012
    11/1/2004-09/26/2012

poopypuppy is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Some dogs like to yell back. Just sayin'.

So glad to read this as Gracie will sometimes 'complain' other breeds I've had never did ...afraid she has a loose screw....or inherited a nasty trait !