signs of aggression from our 5 year old Golden towards our 8 week old lab pup

Thread: signs of aggression from our 5 year old Golden towards our 8 week old lab pup

Harrison's Dad is offline Junior Member

Defaultsigns of aggression from our 5 year old Golden towards our 8 week old lab pup

Today they met for the first time in our backyard. Golden seemed nervous and really did not seem interested in him. Had them out in backyard for about 30 minutes. Inside the house the pup wanted to play, Golden growled back at him. Breeder said that the elders growling is ok as it gives the pups boundaries. Am I being a nervous nellie right now? What a some good bonding techniques? Any and all suggestions are welcomed!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Sounds perfectly normal to me. Yes, watch carefully. I have an eight year old female that will give DAYS worth of warnings to young (boarding, 4-12 month old) pups. If they ignore the warnings, she will bite. She gave them warning, and they ignored it. They never did that again. That being said, if a "pup" is older or does not acknowledge the older dog's position, it could get really nasty, and blood is drawn and stitches needed...been there, done that. (once, and the stitches were likely my fault as I grabbed one dog and pulled her up as her teeth were firmly embedded in Kodi's leg...(13 stitches required).

So, be careful, yes the pup needs to learn boundaries, but YOU need to be the adult, and intervene before it gets nasty.
    Last edited by Belles mom; 01-08-2013 at 08:36 PM.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Tanya is offline Senior Member

is your golden socialized? has he been around other dogs, on and off his property over the five years you have had him?

If he is well socialized and friendly I wouldn't worry about it. dogs grown. it is a method of communication. He was telling the puppy to leave him alone and the puppy NEEDS to learn boundaries. I wouldn't worry about "making" them bond. Just make sure that the older dog gets a break from the puppy and some one on one time wtih your for some of their favorite activities. The dogs will eventually figure it out. Just make sure to monitor the interactions (supervise). don't be afraid to redirect the puppy so he isn't always pestering the older dog, he isn't a puppy sitter.

IF the golden is NOT socialized I would seperate more often and be SUPER vigilant about interactions.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Agree with both of the above. It is typical and most times dogs work out their own relationships without a whole lot of intervention on the part of the people. When I brought our younger dog home as an 8 week old puppy, my older dog (4 years his senior) was not thrilled. He had been an only dog for about 6 months and I think he was digging it. He warned the puppy a few times when he overstepped and once when the puppy waddled too close to Diesel during dinner the puppy got an earful! A snarl so nasty my heart practically stopped. But - Blaise learned to steer clear of Diesel's bowl at mealtime!

Now they play like the very best of friends. It really did not take much time at all.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Our Golden lived with another dog in the household until 3 months ago when she passed. She was a female pit bull who he loved to play with. She was in the household prior to him and I would say was Alpha over him. Outside of her he did not really socialize with other dogs. If I am on the beach with him for example he would rather just stay with me and play with his stick than play with another dog that may be there. I did have him in group obedience training when he was younger in which he excelled, both on and off lead. My wife just spoke with a friend that is a trainer, he said 20 minutes a day max right now and slowly add to that.

Oh and by the way I just joined this site tonight, looks like I found a good one with the quick informative responses I have gotten already. Thanks!