puppy nipping

Thread: puppy nipping

Zoe95423 is offline Junior Member

Defaultpuppy nipping

Hello,
    The week after thanksgiving I purchased a "white" lab pup, at 7 weeks old.
    Now he is about 3 months, and he has this aweful habbit I cannot break.
    Me and my boyfriend own 53 acres, and that connects to my parents 1 hundred some acres.
    So every day me and my pup Ruger go for a walk, anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour.
    If we go for shorter walks we go for more than one a day. He runs loose and is very good at comingand never gets very far ahead. His problem is, as soon as we start our walk, he jumps up and nips the backs of my legs, or my hands. I tell him no, and will put my hands in my pockets. This has been going on for a month or so, I can not seem to break this habbit. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Erendui is offline Senior Member

Try yelping when he does it. If that doesn't work, you could get a spray bottle of water and spray it on his face when he does it. I'm sure the habit will break when he really realised you don't like it, but right now I bet it's a really fun game for the little guy!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I would immediately change direction when he is not walking beside you on a leash. (so that includes jumping up and nipping) I would also reward him (food treat) when he is walking nicely. Labs are usually very food oriented and he will quickly pick up on the thing that gets him his reward.

What are you doing to train him? Have you gotten involved in any puppy classes? They are great at not only helping your pup get trained, but in teaching you how to train your pup.

And - BTW - Labs come in 3 colors only - yellow, black and chocolate. Sounds like you have a light colored yellow.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yes I know I have a light colored yellow, which is why I put white in quotation marks
    Also, its pretty cold and winter up here in ny, so I don't think spaying him with water would be ideal.
    The treat idea may work, he seems to learn things way faster when I have a treat, he leanred to sit and stay withing 2 days.
    The next puppy class around my area isn't until March. I live in a small town. The closest petco or petsmart is almost 2 hours away, so that would be out of the question.

If you can tell us the general area (nearby city or general location) we can probably find a Lab club or all breed club with lessons. They are infinitely preferable to pet store lessons.

Shelley is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe95423 View Post
    Hello,
    The week after thanksgiving I purchased a "white" lab pup, at 7 weeks old.
    Now he is about 3 months, and he has this aweful habbit I cannot break.
    Me and my boyfriend own 53 acres, and that connects to my parents 1 hundred some acres.
    So every day me and my pup Ruger go for a walk, anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour.
    If we go for shorter walks we go for more than one a day. He runs loose and is very good at comingand never gets very far ahead. His problem is, as soon as we start our walk, he jumps up and nips the backs of my legs, or my hands. I tell him no, and will put my hands in my pockets. This has been going on for a month or so, I can not seem to break this habbit. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Hi there, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new puppy.

I see a couple of issues here, so bear with me.
    Firstly, this puppy needs to be trained not to jump and nip at you, or others. I find that training is a lot easier when I have some control of the dog. For now, I would leash break your puppy, so when he jumps and nips at you, you can correct him, either by a leash correction, or stepping on his leash so he can't jump on you. He needs to learn good manners before he gets to run off lead. if he gets to jump on and bite you, then run away, he won't ever break this "habit".

The second problem I see, is that you are walking a baby puppy for an hour, that is too much for a 12 week old baby. Maybe you could do some training, and then go for the 20 minute walk. Just allow him to grow up and let his joints mature before he goes on long walks with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post

The second problem I see, is that you are walking a baby puppy for an hour, that is too much for a 12 week old baby. Maybe you could do some training, and then go for the 20 minute walk. Just allow him to grow up and let his joints mature before he goes on long walks with you.
    Yep - this crossed my mind when I read the OPs post too. Definately too much for a small puppy. 5 minutes of exercise per month of age is a general rule. You can exercise your puppy into future joint issues (hip or elbow dysplasia).

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    If you can tell us the general area (nearby city or general location) we can probably find a Lab club or all breed club with lessons. They are infinitely preferable to pet store lessons.
    I live in st.lawrence county. There is a st.lawrence valley dog club, but they do not have obedience classes till march. I am going to sign up for them once they are posted on te website.

And really? I can over excersize him? I didn't know that... well we play play play for about 45 minutes before a walk, then walk, then play play play more. And throughout the day for about 5 minutes a few times a day we work on training. He sits and stays, but if we do it anymore than 5 minutes at a time he gets bored even with a treat.

Ruger is very good about walking on a leash, he learned that quite fast. But I really hate having him on one, but I guess if it will help the proble., I will try it out.

Sorry for all the typos, I am on my phone. This website doesn't do very good on a mobile browser.