Another "my pup wont eat" thread!...

Thread: Another "my pup wont eat" thread!...

phil_uk is offline Junior Member

DefaultAnother "my pup wont eat" thread!...

So, young osti is 9 weeks. we brought him home a week ago, and he seemed to feed OK on the first couple of days. then, had his first jab and chip 4 days ago. since then, he's barely touched anything. we tried mixing a very very small amount of cooked plain chicken in with his food as he just wasn't eating anything, and he cant eat that fast enough when we do that, but just wont touch the other food in the bowl.

He sleeps alot, but when he's awake, he's full of beans and plays really happily. he just doesn't seem to want to eat!

I am now starting to get concerned as he's not had a bowlful for what seems like ages. I've googled this, and seen so many different pieces of advice, I thought i'd ask my own question!

he is currently on bakers puppy food. the vet gave us a "free" pack of Royal canin, but that remains unopened!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

elle.burns is offline Senior Member

Id take him to the vet ASAP..if he's not eating for days..just better to b safe than sorry

The more people I meet, The more I like my dog...

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You could have a bad bag of food. It's not ok or normal for a growing puppy to go days without eating. I would get a vet consult and buy a new bag of food. You should also check to see if there have been any recalls on the food you are feeding.

You can also make your dog very picky by adding in higher value items like chicken - just be aware of that.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    You could have a bad bag of food.
    That was my first thought as well. I bought a new bag of food once, and Bauer wouldn't touch it; bought a different bag (same brand and formula) and he was fine. I also agree that a trip to the vet is in order.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

phil_uk is offline Junior Member

he actually ate a breakfast today after I posted this, but only maybe a small handful at best of his usual food. his toilet habits seem normal. If he skips any more meals, he's going to the vet. I'm hoping he'll take some lunch in the next hour or so. worse than the kids!!! thanks for the input and advice so far.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by phil_uk View Post
    he actually ate a breakfast today after I posted this, but only maybe a small handful at best of his usual food. his toilet habits seem normal. If he skips any more meals, he's going to the vet. I'm hoping he'll take some lunch in the next hour or so. worse than the kids!!! thanks for the input and advice so far.
    Did you catch the part about the food possiblly being bad? It is abnormal for a small puppy to avoid eating. I would not continue feeding this bag of food.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.