Recs on a good puppy training book

Thread: Recs on a good puppy training book

brc023 is offline Junior Member

DefaultRecs on a good puppy training book

Can anyone suggest a good puppy training book? Our lab will be 8 weeks old when we pick her up on Saturday.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I do not have any books to recommend, I have found the internet a good source and free. I have also found user "tab289" on YouTube to be very helpful (my opinion)

good luck, hope this helps.

Left you a PM with a link.
    Last edited by EpicStageFright; 01-04-2013 at 09:17 AM.
    ~Paul

Tanya is offline Senior Member

My BIGGEST recommendation is puppy classes (for puppies who do not have all their shots yet). they are absolutely invaluable for not only training but socialization that very important stage.

Books I love:
    Patricia McConnell - The Puppy Primer (Patricia McConnell PH.D. | McConnell Publishing Inc.)
    Patricia McConnell - the other end of the leash (Patricia McConnell PH.D. | McConnell Publishing Inc.)
    Ian Dunbar has two that are FREE: Free downloads | Dog Star Daily
    Jean Donaldson - The Culture Clash (www.jeandonaldson.com)
    Ian Dunbar has a great website with lots of tips and tricks and resources for common problem: Patricia McConnell PH.D. | McConnell Publishing Inc.

There is a lot of great info in understand a dog (which is key to training them) as well as lots of hand on training techniques in all the books. I have and reread all of these (and some others).
    Last edited by Tanya; 01-04-2013 at 11:06 AM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Second Tanya's recommendations. I personally prefer training advice from people who have devoted their life's work to it and who have studied the science - not just the pop culture version of canine behavior.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

brc023 is offline Junior Member

Thank you. I will check some of these out. Mostly I just want a well mannered dog (who doesn't )

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

I also got a lot of information from the internet and this site specifically. But one book I did enjoy was "Puppies for Dummies" The thing is, I don't think there is any one resource where you can get all the info you need. Like I said,I read the book, looked up things on the net, talked to people, also I've owned other dogs before my perfect Jack so I tapped into my own knowledge plus 2 of my dogs were in organized puppy groups and obience classes. So I took what I knew worked, what I wanted to try, and weeded through all the advice (asked for and not) and Jack is a fairly well behaved and smart puppy. There is a ton of experience on this site to be tapped into. Don't be shy. Ask for help. Good luck to you and can't wait to see pictures.