HELP! 10 mo old lab having potty training issues
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! 10 mo old lab having potty training issues

SilverLab is offline Junior Member

DefaultHELP! 10 mo old lab having potty training issues

I'm at my wits end! I have two labs - one black and one silver (chocolate officially to AKC). They are sisters and are crate trained. The silver, Shelby, is starting to have accidents in her crate overnight. Usually only poop and it's hard. Her sister, Raven, has no overnight issues. In fact, usually both dogs can go all day (approximately 9hrs) without an accident. They are fed the same food at the same time everyday. They are fed at 7a after they potty, then again at 6:30p after they potty. They are given 1.5 cups of Blue Mountain dog food per feeding. Raven has been accident free for a couple months and has graduated to the full crate and a blanket. Shelby has now had her crate size reduced and does not have a blanket. The plastic crate lining is washed with vinegar each time she has had an accident. Shelby has a clean bill of health so it's not medical. I can say that Shelby is hard headed. Probably as hard headed as they come, so I have not ruled out just plain stubborness. I would say Shelby could go about 2-3 weeks without an accident, then suddenly she will do it 2 days in a row.

I really don't know what else to do, so any advice from long time lab owners is very appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nicole is offline Senior Member

Have you ever been around weimaraners? They're pretty stubborn as a whole

Anyway, are you going outside with them at "last call" to make sure they both actually go instead of getting sidetracked/playing? If you make sure she's gone poop before she goes to bed, you should be ok, especially since it's solid. If that doesn't work, I'd move the crate into your bedroom so you can hear her stirring and get her outside.

Samson is offline Senior Member

You don't state their age ! If they are young then it's not unusual to have accidents.

Reducing the crate size should help too !

Other than that I can't see what you are doing wrong if anything !

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    You don't state their age ! If they are young then it's not unusual to have accidents.

Reducing the crate size should help too !

Other than that I can't see what you are doing wrong if anything !
    10 months old as per the headline!

I would take her out and keep her out after her dinner meal until she poops. Training is habit creation mostly. If it took you until 8 months old to get the black one to stop having accidents indoors, that was an extremely lengthy housebreaking. Most dogs are quite reliable by 5-6 months old at the latest. Are you getting them out consistently and do they have a reliable schedule?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Agree with the above - make sure she is pooping during the day, particularly in the evening before bed. Be consistent. You need to change her internal schedule.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

These are the first dogs I've had in 20 years and I was a kid when I had a dog. So the crate training wasn't something I had read about until the dogs were about 4 mos old. Once they had the crates, they were on a regular scheduled. As for now, they normally peep and poop once in the morning then once at night after eating. Raven, usually pees first, then comes in to eat, then will poop. Shelby, will pee and poop at the same time right when she goes out in the morning then when I come home from work. She does pee at night before going to bed but not usually poop. I do supervise when they are outside so that they do potty instead of play.

That's why I'm so confused because her sister has done so well, and Shelby is going backward. I feel bad to reduce her crate size but she needs to learn. If I could chalk it up to Shelby growing out of it with more time, I'd be fine with being patient. But if there is something I need to do to help her learn, then I need to do it.

I really appreciate everyone's guidance!

go for a walk abit before bed. or play fetch. movement encourages bowel movements.

no two dogs are the same. even though they are sisters they will have different bodies and different needs.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

At 10 months this dog is essentially fully grown. Is there that much room in the crate that you can reduce it?

The trick here for you IMO is to ensure that she does poop in the evening. I'm also a bit concerned about how little opportunity they seem to be getting outdoors to relieve themselves. There are negative physical consequences to them having to hold it for very lengthy periods all the time. Is there a reason they can only pee/poop twice a day?

Mine are out twice in the morning before we leave for work, DH comes home at lunchtime most days and lets them out again and they are out 3-4 times every evening (and they are walked daily too). Most would probably do fine without the lunch break, but we have one special needs dog who has a hard time with going more than 5 hours without a break.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Yes, I should have been more specific with potty habits when we get home for the evening. After the pups go out then eat, they go out again. After that, they are taken outside to potty just about every hour until bed. It is rare when either dog poops on those potty breaks in the evening. That's the pattern I've seen in them. Now recently, on the weekends, I've noticed Shelby or Raven will have an additional poop in the afternoon but nothing was changed (no additional food, etc).

It does seem that Shelby's times are off for potty and I don't know how to return them back to what they were.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverLab View Post
    Yes, I should have been more specific with potty habits when we get home for the evening. After the pups go out then eat, they go out again. After that, they are taken outside to potty just about every hour until bed. It is rare when either dog poops on those potty breaks in the evening. That's the pattern I've seen in them. Now recently, on the weekends, I've noticed Shelby or Raven will have an additional poop in the afternoon but nothing was changed (no additional food, etc).

It does seem that Shelby's times are off for potty and I don't know how to return them back to what they were.
    Please see my post above - you change the schedule by not just letting them out to ootty - you go for a walk and/play with them (fetch, etc) - movement encourages bowel movement. Do this later in the evening.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast