Jumping Issue - 4 Months Old
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jumping Issue - 4 Months Old

aberry is offline Junior Member

DefaultJumping Issue - 4 Months Old

Good morning!

I have a 4 month old lab puppy. Mostly, she is doing well with her training. My husband and I are still having problems with her jumping though. We've been told to tell her to sit every time she jumps, which is helping, but definitely not preventing it. I would like for people to be able to come around, especially children, without her feeling the need to jump on them. I realize she just wants to greet them, but jumping is absolutely not aceptable.

Does anyone have any pointers on training her that it is never okay to jump?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We are just getting over this problem ( touch wood ) we just hold our hand down, kind of in front of his face. Say stay if needed. When he was really bad with it we wud give him a firm no and knock on the bum. If he done it again he got locked in kitchen. The way my dad suggested which worked with his dogs but not mine, when he jumps up keep a hold of his paws ( maybe not too long for such a young pup as it may hurt and be dangerous) and standing up should be uncomfortable and deter it. Hope this helped

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Leash your puppy. Don't "knock his bum" or grab his paws and hold them. You need to leash him when people come to the door. Make him sit. Tighten up on the leash so that he can't jump. We chose a key word for a command. We would tell Sophie to sit, and cinch up on the leash. When it came time to greet the child/person, we said Sophie "easy". She quickly learned what is expected of her. We praised her for her correct behavior, we did not treat behavior problems by being physical with her. Now, when someone comes to the door, she will get all excited and I can tell she would like to jump, but we just say Sophie, easy. She immediately backs off. Like with anything else, it takes time to train the dog. I found leashing is the best way. We kept it hanging by the door, so we could leash her before letting someone come in. Once the new person has come in, and the dog has been able to greet them, they will usually go about their business. It is that first initial entry that makes the pup want to jump on them to say Hi. Good luck, and please, use praise, praise , praise....please don't try to be physical or negative in behavior modification.
    Last edited by Sophiesmama; 12-27-2012 at 06:14 PM.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

No physical reprimands are required in terms of "knock on the bum" or grabbing paws or swatting noses, etc. As well, locking into another room is pointless as dogs cannot make the correlation to what they did wrong.

Use much more effective training methods, Labs are very smart, but you need to be consistent.

Leash your dog, at all times if need be until she gets it. Watch her body language, anticipate her jumps and prevent them by putting her in a sit, then step on the leash so she literally cannot jump up. Use your "no jump" or whatever command when doing this.

Also instruct your visitors how to behave around her. Do not "engage" her with direct eye contact, or verbal contact as it can excite her. If she is acting up she should be ignored until she calms down. As for children, remember that puppies LOVE the squealing & excitement of kids so always ensure there is proper adult supervision with any puppy/child interaction, and talk to the kids to make sure they understand how to deal with a puppy.

It is your responsibility to be sure no one gets hurt, any mishaps are due to poor supervision and the pup should be corrected properly for acting up, but never scolded. There is a big difference.
    Last edited by Diesel_Dawg; 12-27-2012 at 07:44 PM.

I got my advice from a trainer who has trained hundreds of dogs, a little knock on the bum is not like hitting or hurting a dog. If kept with its mam she would use this kind of behaviour, a dog is a pack animal by nature and will always want to be leader which is the worst thing you can let a dog think. Putting a dog on a leash is a temp solution, why do it like little baby steps, Labradors are extremely intelligent dogs, don't underestimate what they can learn. They can learn quickly, do it right, Teach and then a lot of praise ( which goes without saying) and your dog will not need a lot of time. They will amaze you at how quick they learn. 1 or 2 days is all they need.

jen124 is offline Senior Member

I use a simple leash technique ~ put puppy on leash, loop leash under your foot (so you are holding the handle end) and ignore the puppy. Company has to ignore as well. When pup jumps up leash will be short enough to "self correct". When he/she calms and sits (or stands) with out jumping then you and/or company can offer attention and affection (keep it fair ~ don't get the pup all crazy using the high baby voice etc then reprimand when she can't contain herself!) If puppy gets crazy/jumpy again ignore again. It's an easy way to practice and they usually catch on pretty fast. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jen and the crew!

bett is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daintywonderland.wordpres View Post
    I got my advice from a trainer who has trained hundreds of dogs, a little knock on the bum is not like hitting or hurting a dog. If kept with its mam she would use this kind of behaviour, a dog is a pack animal by nature and will always want to be leader which is the worst thing you can let a dog think. Putting a dog on a leash is a temp solution, why do it like little baby steps, Labradors are extremely intelligent dogs, don't underestimate what they can learn. They can learn quickly, do it right, Teach and then a lot of praise ( which goes without saying) and your dog will not need a lot of time. They will amaze you at how quick they learn. 1 or 2 days is all they need.
    cause there are other ways without "knocking on the bum", that's why.
    if they were with their mum, the mum would nip them too, and we dont do that.

there are trainers, and then there are trainers.

each to their own, i guess.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daintywonderland.wordpres View Post
    He could have trained thousands of dogs and all around the world.... doesn't make his advice correct. If a canine mom would do as you do, then get on all fours and act like a dog the rest of the time too. Why not? Isn't that what mom would do? Dogs do not see humans in the same light they do other dogs or their littermates/mom/dad. The pack theory has some valuable and relatable pieces of advice, the rest is totally outdated nonsense. Your statement is actually contradictory. Yes, Labs are intelligent dogs. Use your words, hand signals, and other commands in lieu of a "little knock" and they respond wonderfully. A knock on the bum, grabbing paws, swatting noses etc are tactics used by those that lack the patience or realization of just how intelligent Labs are.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Just because a trainer has trained dogs for years doesn't make the methods up to date, nor are they acceptable. I have problems with any of the "smack a dog, roll a dog, or make a dog submit" type trainers.... just sayin'...
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Unclelab1 is offline Member

Yep as far as trainers go, I've learned you can speak to 3 differant trainers and get 3 differant ideas of "how to train your dog" so I kind of take them with a grain of salt and I think it really matters what kind of dog you have, as to the best methods to use.

As for jumping, with Rubin I've used the leash method too. Also a firm given command such as "no jump" and when all 4 paws hit the floor, give lots of praise.

I Also agree on telling all your friends who come over to ignore the behavior and not to raise their voice or give the dog attention. When on the leash, then walk the dog over to the guest and when he is able to sit and be calm, then it's OK for the guest to pet and greet the dog. Again give lots of praise.

Its very important to stop this behavior ASAP at this time, because if you don't, it will get much worse and could lead to other bad behaviors, such as counter surfing. And one more thing to remember is NEVER call your dog over to you and then scold it.

Annie Roses 8/11/10 Rescued 4/21/12 (was living in a barn)
    Rubin Hunter 7/12/12 Gotcha 8/1/12

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast