4 month old labrador puppy
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 month old labrador puppy

Armomomo is offline Junior Member

Default4 month old labrador puppy

Hello,
    My 4 month old labrador got his 2nd round of vaccination 6 days ago. And i have a couple of questions.
    1. We live in an apartment and he has his little bathroom. But he is not fully trained to go there (probably 70% of the time) How should i start training him to go outside after he is able to go out? And should i still keep his bathroom?
    2. When i put his leash on he starts chewing it. Whatever i do he doesnt get destracted. How can i stop this? Or he will just get destracted once he gets outside?
    3. how long can i take my puppy out in a cold weather (+3/-5)
    And any other tips i should know....
    Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

1 - get rid of indoor potty spot, make sure to clean all areas that were peed on with odour neutralizing product like vinegar or nature's miracle. Take the dog outside often (every hour when a wake, more when playing). get him to pee and poop outside, praise praise praise, HUGE reward. repeat. when you cannot supervise the puppy must bein their crate and accidents are human error for not supervising properly and getting the dog outside.
    2 - just say "no chew" or "leave it" whatever command you wwant and gently remove his mouth. if it is very bad you can use a chain leash until it passes.
    3 - if the dog is moving you are good to be outside a half hour, just watch the puppy for signs they are cold or want in.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

But the thing is that he doesnt have a crate,, he stays in a little room when he is alone. And sometimes he is alone for 2 hours. So its more than possible that he will be awake for at least half an hour and will want to go to potty

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Is there a reason he doesn't have a crate? It is a great housetraining tool, but also dogs love having a space to call their own. Mine is completely housetrained but often still loves to just go chill out in his crate with the door open. It has also come in handy after his nueter to keep him in a safely contained space.

A little room won't provide the same environment as a crate would and you will likely contend with accidents.

Because i live in a country (Armenia) where dog supplies aren't that numerous. And i wont be able to take him down from the 4th floor of my building, where my apartment is, to potty every half an hour

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but did you put any thought into this dog's needs prior to bringing him home? Either deal with urine and feces in your home indefinitely... as once they learn that it will be extremely difficult to teach him to go outside once his bladder is able to hold it longer, or suck it up and realize that this is a committment you made and take the poor bugger out every 30min... down then up 4 floors everytime. It doesn't last forever, soon he will be able to hold it longer. This isn't about you.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You are going to have a great deal of difficulty getting this puppy housebroken as things stand. He should be close to 100% at this point and apparently has a habit of eliminating indoors. Unless you are willing to get him outdoors frequently, he will soon be a much larger 6 month old - not housebroken - and he will be able to completely flood a room with the volume of pee he can produce. Been there, done that, with my last rescue. And the longer they have been habituated to peeing inside, the harder it is to break.

If I was you, I would make getting him outside as much as possible my number one priority.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

suck it up and bring him outside - it is the only way to train a dog, to get them outside often. no matter how many steps. no excuses. it's part of owning a dog. once he gets it you will not have to go as often. but until then you need to get him outside before he pees indoors so that will be often.
    Last edited by Tanya; 12-26-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: d
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

I did put thought into it. What was I supposed to do when I live in an apartment and I can't take my puppy out, because he was not vaccinated. My only choice was an indoor bathroom. Would it be a good idea to just let him potty in his bathroom for a month more, so he can hold it longer? Because if I take him out every 30 minutes there will still be a time in the day when he will be alone for 2 hours and he won't be able to hold it.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Armomomo View Post
    I did put thought into it. What was I supposed to do when I live in an apartment and I can't take my puppy out, because he was not vaccinated. My only choice was an indoor bathroom. Would it be a good idea to just let him potty in his bathroom for a month more, so he can hold it longer? Because if I take him out every 30 minutes there will still be a time in the day when he will be alone for 2 hours and he won't be able to hold it.
    Its not just his physical size that allows him to "hold it" longer. He has to want to hold it. When you allow/encourage a dog to pee indoors he does not develop an aversion to peeing indoors that is necessary to properly housebreaking him.

If you start taking him out every 30 minutes he will start to learn that he is NOT supposed to eliminate indoors and that he IS supposed to eliminate outdoors and he may be able to hold it for 2 hours because he wants to pee outdoors to please you.

Does that make more sense to you?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast