HELP US PLEASE! (Houstan we have a jumper)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP US PLEASE! (Houstan we have a jumper)

titanthelabadorpuppy is offline Junior Member

DefaultHELP US PLEASE! (Houstan we have a jumper)

I have a Lab puppy as some of you know ( obviously since I'm a member lol ) But I need a bit of help. My pup likes to jump and we have tried EVERYTHING to teach him all paws down. We have ignored him, used cans to try to take his attention off of jumping, used treats with the sit command and it doesn't work. I'm 5 months pregnant and the jumping has gotten worse instead of better. We walk him, play fetch with him and all of the things to try to bring that level down but to no avail. So I'm on my last leg here as I REALLY REALLY REALLY love my pup but he is nearly a year old and the jumping needs to come to a close especially with a baby on the way. I'd like to stay with positive methods and away from the dog whisper at all costs as we are correcting issues caused by that training from the last place that we went to help with this issue and since we disagreed with that trainer and left the jumping has gotten SO MUCH WORSE. So if any of you can help me I'd be grateful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Amiek is offline Junior Member

I am in the same boat, only we have two 8 month old labs. I am 22 weeks, and although people say they sense it and take it easy on you, I beg to differ. Over the last month we've seen a great deal of improvement by turning our backs to them if they run towards us, and not giving them attention until they've calmed down. It may sound weird but I also rub my belly and tell them they have a sister coming when they are calmer and try to get them to "sense" the baby. We've had jumping issues with my Great Dane that passed early this year. Unfortunately, the only thing that worked was using the knee. My dogs are my babies and it was extremely hard for me to hold my knee out if my dog was coming in for a jump but he was completely cured within a week. I hope all goes well!

Samson is offline Senior Member

Good advice from AMiek.

The only other thing required is patience and he will eventually get it !

Labrador patience is a lot longer than normal patience in your defence :-)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tried the first one and he knocked me down T_T so we are going with the Knee and he is getting it sorta. He is just really hyper and its in his personality. Still open to things that may help? Should I treat him when he sits even if we use the Knee or not?
    Please let me take you
    Out of the darkness and into the light
    Cause I have faith in you
    That you're gonna make it through another night
    - Nickelback Lullaby

Erendui is offline Senior Member

My trainer told me to never pat the dog on the head, always on the side or belly, also ignore him until he calms down, and make him sit before I give him any fuss at all. Now he (mostly) acts like a cat and rubs himself all over my legs whist I stroke his side Of course he still occasionally jumps up, so this method can't be perfect oh and he jumps up at about 30% of new people he meets, but usually the one's who try to ignore him, which is very bad and embarrassing :/

People hated this last time but it has worked for every dog iv ever had. I would never ever hit, nip a dog, anything that would hurt is 100% wrong! If he jumps the deepest firmest no you can do and when standing bend over the top of the dog while you say it. If still doing it, a knock on the bum ( not a hit) to get the pups attention off jumping and onto what your saying should do the trick. I know some people might even think that is a last resort but what is worse, a tap on the bum once or twice and they will learn to listen to your no and then to not do it at all or for your dog to hurt someone and in the extreme be taken away. Hope this helps, once again want to stress, never hit a dog. A knock or when little the scruff of their neck is how they would be discaplined in their pack and they would still love their mummy!

Forgot to add, when they stay down, praise praise praise and if you can get down to their level after they behave well so they know they get more attention on floor than jumping up.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

We have never had to lay a hand on Sophie and never would knock her bum. We used a leash to train her. She wanted to jump on people when they come in the door. It was her way of saying Hi, but as she got bigger and with 2 pregnant daughters-in-law, we had to stop her from jumping on people. So when someone comes to the door, leash your dog. Cinch up on the leash and make the dog sit. If the pup tries to jump, use your chosen key word, like "down" or "off" etc. and cinch the leash up short and make the pup sit. Then praise. Repeat the process till the dog gets it. After the dog is calm, then with the dog still leashed, allow the dog to greet the person in a proper manner. We tell Sophie "Easy"....keep your leash cinched...if he tries to jump, repeat the tight leash, and off command. Then proceed again with "easy"...it didn't take us long to teach Sophie. Now, when somene comes to the door, I say Sophie sit. She sits and then I say, Sophie "easy"...she has it down pat and I never ever had to knock her bum, or knee her chest. I would never do that. Sophie is a nervous girl, and hitting her or kneeing her would not be good for her emotionally. I don't agree with some who think being physical with a dog is necessary. Good luck and congrats on the baby!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

been a while but I think I can update: Titan has gotten better with the jumping but still does it and the few times I've had to use the Knee as been when the bugger has pulled magic trick and somehow gotten out of his crate. Only use it once and then he stands there and lets me in. Most of the time when guests are coming in our Vet has told us to crate him till he acts calm and to treat him for the duration of him having all paws on the floor. if he ignores me to re crate him and start all over again. (since I'm huge and I can't really get down on the floor.) so far its working slowly yet surely when push comes to shove and do just hold him as best I can with a leash or collar before returning him to the crate. @[email protected] almost 2 (16 months) and everyone says the energy levels will calm down a bit. Vet has even said this is normal for a lab I love him alot I just don't want him to by accident hurt someone.
    Please let me take you
    Out of the darkness and into the light
    Cause I have faith in you
    That you're gonna make it through another night
    - Nickelback Lullaby

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

if you can get down to their level after they behave well so they know they get more attention on floor than jumping up.
    This works for me.
    I have a jumper in Tony. Usually happens when I come home and he is overjoyed. No time to put a leash on a wild jumping welcome. I tried turning around to ignore him when he jumps and he jumps on my back. I have been putting my hand on his head and not allowing a jump by pushing down. It seems to work because he is much better now. Also, use your voice tone to let him know your displeasure.
    I once had a dog and tried using the knee to train not to jump. As she was jumping on me, my knee threw her off balance and she fell backward and hit the back of her head on the floor. She saw stars for a while and I felt awful and swore never to do that again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast