Helping herself to things on the kitchen counters !
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helping herself to things on the kitchen counters !

poopypuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultHelping herself to things on the kitchen counters !

My prior pooches were too small to reach counter tops. Gracie has a bad habit of helping herself to things on the kitchen counters. Destroyed my cell phone etc. Putting things beyond her reach is getting harder. She gets a scolding when caught red handed (pawed). I hate bitch slapping her. I try to grab her, hold her down and using a loud voice let her know she's in trouble. I have heard of several tactics such as leaving cookie sheets/trays on the counter so as to get a loud hopefully scary clatter of noise when they fall. I don't want to lower the boom and hurt her but...................ideas ? She knows the word OFF
    Last edited by poopypuppy; 12-21-2012 at 05:10 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

first - do not "bitch slap" her, that doesn't teach her anything other than you are unfair.

1 - better supervision
    2 - put things away
    3 - you can read up on "can monster" but if she is unphased by loud noises that may not help.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

smokey is offline Senior Member

Mine hasn't gotten to table or counters yet...He was going into the trash, I found a constant eye and firm leave it and rewarding for the leave it helped. He will still give it a good hard sniff if given the opportunity, I say leave it if he looks at the trash can. And baby gates are a fixture in our house right now. He is not trustworthy and so he gets confined to the trouble free zone when all eyes can't be on him.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

poopypuppy is offline Senior Member

My wording was bad...I don't bitch slap her.........although hard not to ......

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Learn to put anything edible away whenever it is not under your immediate visual oversight.

When we had Bess, NOTHING worked as far as training or placement (e.g., putting things as far back on a kitchen counter as possible). Bess had a neck like an expandable "Slinky" which would instantly reach farther than anyone could possibly imagine and so instantly swallow "it," it was as if she'd inhaled it. She was insatiable as far as food was concerned and too much was never enough. Bess unattended in a car with a bag of groceries always had unwelcome consequences -- until we quickly learned to lock any groceries in the trunk whenever Bess would be alone with them.

Bess was a marvelous Lab, absolutely brilliant, very easily trained -- but her one failing was gluttony and we had to always monitor her access to that for her own health.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

One effective tool is a scat mat (available through the Drs Foster and Smith site). It's a clear vinyl mat you put on the counter and when the dog puts a paw up there to grab something they get a mild static shock. It's an effective (and totally harmless) aversive. They attach the negative experience to touching the counter (which you want) and does not employ loud noises which can create noise fear in a dog.

You can get them counter sized or bigger (for a couch or dining room table). I had a dog who lied to hop up on the dining room table when no one was home and I fixed that problem with a scat mat.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Sharon I haven't heard of the scat mat before. I could use several for the thieving Mr Erns.He islike Bobs Bess. Hiss neck and leg seem to grow when food is involved.

Poopypuppy I would try the scatter mat. These Labs only get smarter at it so the sooner they stop the better. Kassa tried it and I snuck on her and whacked a rolled up news paper on the wall. She took off terrified. We could leave food on a coffee table and she wouldn't touch it. I did the same thing to Tess.

Erns is another story. I tried tape all around the counters and from the living room could hear....tap...tap...tpp as he patrolled the counter sticking his paws. I tried the can, the try, mouse trap, (felt awful, but desperate). Even hid banging pot lids like a symphony while he clapped bravo,then stole the dinner.

The only thing is to keep things off the counter.

ETA. Bob I can leave all the shopping in the car and Ernie will not touch it. Tess will get into it before I have started the car.
    Last edited by kassabella; 12-22-2012 at 05:34 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

bett is offline Senior Member

do you know the plastic runner some folks use on carpet, that has little , sharp points to grab the carpet?
    you can try that, but honestly, clear off the counters. some dogs just always seek out stuff on the counters.

Samson is offline Senior Member

The cheapest and surest way of curing this problem is indeed keeping all unattended objects off the counter.

I forget from time to time and always get a little reminder from one or other of the pups.

The last object was a frozen Naan bread, and in my defence, i didn't think that it would be attractive ! WRONG

Bookwormbiker is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    One effective tool is a scat mat (available through the Drs Foster and Smith site). It's a clear vinyl mat you put on the counter and when the dog puts a paw up there to grab something they get a mild static shock. It's an effective (and totally harmless) aversive. They attach the negative experience to touching the counter (which you want) and does not employ loud noises which can create noise fear in a dog.

You can get them counter sized or bigger (for a couch or dining room table). I had a dog who lied to hop up on the dining room table when no one was home and I fixed that problem with a scat mat.
    Although Duke has never counter surfed, I have used the "scat mat" for the cats and it worked! We do put the scat mat in front of our large screen hdtv though because we're afraid his powerful wagging tail could knock it akilter (is that an actual word, lol). I loaned it to my daughter because one of the neighborhood dogs was coming on her front step and peeing on her front door. It worked in that case too I'd have loved to have a video of the neighbor's dog the first time he stepped up their.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast