HELP PLEASE! ADVICE NEEDED!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP PLEASE! ADVICE NEEDED!

Carly&Cooper is offline Junior Member

DefaultHELP PLEASE! ADVICE NEEDED!

Hi all! Cooper is 4 months old, he is genuinely a lovely puppy, hes not that naughty but me and my partner are really struggeling to get him to go outside for the toilet. we have literally tried EVERYTHING.
    Puppy pads closer to the door, putting him outside first thing after a meal and a drink, puppy pads OUTSIDE! Putting his nose to his business and putting him outside. We have a back room, where his puppy pads have always been, his bed is also in their and if we go out that's the room he stays in also the back patio doors are in that room, he usually does his business in their which hasn't been a problem as I cant tell him of because that's all he has ever known, we got him when he was 3 months, is it his age that's the problem??
    He also loves our sofa, he has always been allowed on it, he sometimes sleeps on it which again isn't a problem, but hes started doing his business on it!!
    Please has anyone got any advice its driving me absolutely insane!!

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Firstly, Stop putting his nose in it ! It's a myth that this helps.

Secondly, get rid of the puppy pads and just go outside with your dog and wait until he has gone.

Time it after a meal and count on being out with him for at least 20 minuted - maybe more, then when he performs, praise like mad.

Is he crate trained ? I assume that you go out and leave him on his own which is why he poops on the sofa !

Get him crate trained - not took large a crate or he will poop in that !

It sounds as though you are not giving him as much time and attention that he needs to drill the trsining into him, That's not meant as criticism - I'm just suggesting reasons why you are having problems.

I should put on my glasses to type :-(

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

are you crate training?

Does he ever pee outside or does he pretty much always pee inside at this point?

What I would do: ditch teh pee pads. NEVER put his nose it in, dogs have no clue what the heck humans are doing when we do that.
    Crate train. If I am not actively supervising the dog is in the crate.
    Spend lots of time outside and play so he eventually has to pee. when he does REWARD. I mean huge reward. Treats, affection, praise. make it a party. Start associating a word to it.
    When the dog is loose in the house your eyes are on him. Limit where he can go to one room. If you are moving around, tether him to you. Get him outside every 20-30 minutes or whatever his shedule is. If you know he should need to pee and he does not, put him in the crate when you get in and try again in 5 minutes.

Make sure to clean ALL accidents with a product that neutralizes the odour. household products are nto sufficient. Vinegar works, as do products like nature's miracle.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

also - where was he when you got him? at a pet store? in a kennel? in a foster home?

Thanks, I didn't say I was putting his nose in his business, I said putting his nose TO his business I wouldn't rub his nose in it.
    Im from England and crate training aka caging him, is something I really aren't going to do. He has a massive room all to himself and he isn't naughty in their its just where he goes and chills.
    I giving him a lot of attention I am here at home 24/7 apart from obviously when/if I go anywhere.
    He had had 2 poo's outside and one wee. I stand their with him as im a smoker and I go outside with him all the time.
    I praised him both times, gave him treats cuddled him and showed him how good he was.
    As for cleaning. I have carpet cleaner which is specifically for pet urine ect. and I was the carpet every time he does something and also give it a good clean every night.

we got him from a breeder, she had a littler of 8 or 10.

when you are outside, you need to make him move, movement encourages goign to teh washroom. you need to spend more time outside. At this he thinks indoors is his washroom. the first few days you are going to need to spend a lot of time outside so he goes. If you do nto crate, you need to tether him to you (leash him to you) so you can catch the slightly indication he needs to go. Or use an ex-pen. You need to catch him BEFORE he goes, ipck him up and get him outside.

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you got great advice. Always go heavy on the praise!! Make it seem like it's the best thing any dog in the world has ever done. The key word is important to. Believe it or not, my puppy 7 1/2 months old will "go pee-pee and poo-poo" pretty much on command.
    And Tanya, your dogs are beautiful! Love those pictures!!

Seriously, get over the caging is cruel idea.

The pups get used to being in there. They are safer in the crate where they can't get into things that might cause them damage !

not many people can be with their pup 24/7 and leaving them in a room on their own will encourage messing in the house ! If the crate is the correct size then they won't want to go in their own bed and will wait until they are let out.

Like Tanya said, even being at home all day you won't know when he wants to toilet and this is one of the reasons that you are experiencing the problems.

There is a lot of experience on this board but it's pointless asking questions if you question the suggestions that are meant to help.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast