Leave alone on leash?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leave alone on leash?

Diwakar is offline Junior Member

DefaultLeave alone on leash?

Hi Everyone,

Paris is growing very fast and now almost everything is reachable to him. He just stands on his legs, stretches his upper body and grabs whatever he wants to. Although that's not a good behavior and needs correction, it is not much of a problem when we are around. But when we leave him alone in the house (I am sorry, but I don't like using crates), and we do make sure that we clear the area, he has started to destroy a lot of stuff around. so my question is, is it a good idea to put him on leash in the house when we are not around? I am afraid that he will cry and feel bad and start to dislike us? and how do I make him stop trying to pull stuff off the sofa or the bed or whatever he can reach up to? any suggestions?
    and I forgot, he is only 3.5 months old

Cheers!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I adopted a counter surfer when he was 4. Beleive me you do want to stop this now as it only becomes worse and harder to deal with later.

Others may have ideas as to what to do when you can't be there with him. Personally I don't like the idea of a lead as he might become caught and harm himself.
    I like the crate as I know they are safe. Another reason I like the crate is if they need to be at the vets they aren't as stressed. Recently Tessa hurt her leg and needed crating for 8 weeks. I rescued her last year and she wasn't crate trained so was very worried how we would cope.

Dogs don't dislike you for looking after them and caring for them. Training to stop pulling stuff off the sofa or bed helps.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Erendui is offline Senior Member

I had a friend whose dog managed to hang itself whilst alone left on its lead. I would really not recommend it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diwakar is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kassabella View Post
    Beleive me you do want to stop this now
    Indeed, I can only imagine how bad can it go. That's why trying to figure out how can I teach him not to do that? any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Erendui View Post
    I had a friend whose dog managed to hang itself whilst alone left on its lead. I would really not recommend it.
    Oh thats sad and scary!!! I would definitely not go this route.. but I am still skeptical about getting a crate for him.. May be I will try to create some sort of isolated space for him where he can't destroy anything at all..

Admittedly, the dog that managed to hang itself was left in a garden on its lead and jumped over the fence, still attached. It was a collie so a bit more of a live wire than a lab, but I'm sure there are multiple ways for dogs to get tangled up in the lead and do potential damage to themselves

Samson is offline Senior Member

Dislike of crates is a human trait !

Dogs grow to appreciate their own space and if trained early will use the crate as a safe place.

Your dog is more at risk on it's own loose in the house than he will ever be in a crate !

I would suggest that you give this some more thought before he gets into something that he shouldn't and requires surgery to remove it !

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diwakar View Post
    Indeed, I can only imagine how bad can it go. That's why trying to figure out how can I teach him not to do that? any suggestions?

Oh thats sad and scary!!! I would definitely not go this route.. but I am still skeptical about getting a crate for him.. May be I will try to create some sort of isolated space for him where he can't destroy anything at all..
    When Kassa started it when she was about 4 months I waited until she was about to do it and banged a rolled up news paper on the wall. She got such a fright she ran. I didn't let her see me do it. She never did it again. We could leave food on a coffee table and she wouldn't touch it.
    Ernie taught Tess to do it. Again I waited and banged the paper on the wall. Took several times for her to stop. Wouldn't leave the room with food on a coffee table with her. Younger you train them the better.

You could gate off a small section of a room or kitchen, but if he is a chewer he could chew the walls. Even if on a lead he may chew that then be off doing other stuff.

Erns safe place is his man cave the crate. He loves it there. I don't close the door...he does.

eta. To give you an idea what they can do in a short time.
    Kassa chewed her gate to bits, and the wall of the house and deck. Look at the edge of her kennel...chewed.
    Last edited by kassabella; 12-17-2012 at 05:19 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

I agree that dogs learn to love their crate... Bilbo hated it at first but now he pops in at night. Just remember to put the crate away from anything they can reach through the bars, learn from my mistakes!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

your dog could seriously get hurt or eat something dangerous. he is way too young to have free roam of the house.

absolutely NEVER leave a leash on a dog when you are not present and actively supervising.

Do you have a safe room you can fully doggy proof? Maybe using baby gates. you need to reduce the dog's freedom. this is an accident waiting to happen.

Why are you so against crates? You can get a super big one. At least the dog is SAFE there. Most dogs learn to absolutely love crates if you do it right.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diwakar View Post
    I am afraid that he will cry and feel bad and start to dislike us? and how do I make him stop trying to pull stuff off the sofa or the bed or whatever he can reach up to? any suggestions?
    and I forgot, he is only 3.5 months old

Cheers!
    please try to avoid anthropomorphizing your dog. they are not human. they do not have all the range of human emotions. he will not "hate you" for using a crate. I'd recommend reading some books on dogs to better understand how they think.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast