Jake=Crate destruction!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jake=Crate destruction!

Lil Man Jake is offline Senior Member

DefaultJake=Crate destruction!

Okay, this was a first! We came home last night and found Jake sitting in his crate with the tray out and the front gate somewhat mangled! Luckily, he wasn't hurt and his teeth were still intact and no hurt paws.
    He has never done this before, now I am afraid to crate him when we are gone(he still can't be trusted 100%). Although, he had a few times at the old house that he was left for 2 hours at the most and was fine. But, we just moved a week ago and I don't trust him yet.
    He did spend extra time in the crate while we were in the process of moving, couldn't keep an eye on him and move stuff in and out the door.
    I think he is frustrated and now seems to really be going thru that puberty stage as his 12 year old sister has become the object of his desire, so therefore leaving him loose when I can't correct him could be too much for her as he does get persistent at times. Thought about putting her in one of the bedrooms but afraid he will tear the door apart and this is a rental so don't want any damage done.
    I know, I know, time to cut "them" off. I just wanted him to mature a little before I got rid of his male hormones.
    Attachment 6222

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

How old is he? Are you thinking that he is sexually attracted to your senior dog? Is she intact? Unless she is in heat, I would doubt that very much. I don't think his efforts to get out of the crate are about your old dog.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    How old is he? Are you thinking that he is sexually attracted to your senior dog? Is she intact? Unless she is in heat, I would doubt that very much. I don't think his efforts to get out of the crate are about your old dog.
    He is going on 9 months.
    She is spayed but is definitely wanting to "hump" her.
    Don't see it as a dominance issue at all.
    Think he is just horny! lol.
    I didn't say I thought he was trying to get out of the crate to get to her, sorry
    if it came across that way.
    Just wondering (to myself) why all of a sudden he is becoming Mr. Destructo!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

There's lots of mutual humping in my house and they are both male !

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    There's lots of mutual humping in my house and they are both male !
    Mine too and both are neutered.

Dogs hump. My females all humped other dogs. The motivation behind it really never mattered to me - I just discourage it when I see it.

Neutering him probably won't affect this (and he would be better off if you waited).

boys will be boys, lol

I agree, with the neutering aspect. I would like him to "mature" before I cut them off.
    Wonder how men would turn out if we cut theirs off when they were young, probably wouldn't be
    so muscular or masculine, lol.
    I'll probably do it around 1 1/2 - 2 years old.
    I didn't neuter my Diggy til he was like 3 and he still was the same great dog before and after!
    He's not humping a lot, just gets in the mood sometimes, but when mom raises the spray bottle (don't even have to use it) he stops. Was just worried about not being able to correct him if he is loose. Ginger is getting old and arthritic and I don't think she needs the added strain on her backside!
    I saw this crate on Cabela's, it's like a cylinder shape table that is a crate, made of some type of metal. Anyone got $500 they want to donate?

kassabella is offline Senior Member

All mine have gone through crate escape. No idea why they did it so could only leave them in it when I was home. Kass and Erns settled and ended up loving it so think it was boredom. Tess broke out the top and sure it was panic so when she did her knee I was paranoid she would hurt her knee. Now she goes to it as her space.

Erns nic name is Sir Humpalot. He has his wicked way with the couch every night and shreds the cushions in the process. He was neutered at 12 weeks by his previous owners.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

On your original problem - I would suspect that he is being a teenager and perhaps he needs a little more exercise. The solution to many behavioral issues like this (destructiveness) is more exercise. Tired dog = good dog. If he's sleeping the whole time he is crated he won't be trying to break out.

Exercise is a good solution, unfortunately for my lovely child, it almost invigorates him!
    Of course you don't want to crate him when he's wound up or is ready to go.
    I'm really not stupid, been around a lot of dogs(in my over 10 years straight working with them),
    just was wondering if any one had thoughts. I don't need lessons on behavior, pretty much have seen
    it all, including crate issues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast