Lucy's first obedience class today

Thread: Lucy's first obedience class today

lucylu is offline Member

DefaultLucy's first obedience class today

She is a great dog and is doing very well training with us at home but someone gifted a few one on one sessions to us so we are taking advantage. I'm very happy we did. Lucy had fun too. The best part of the hour was probably when she had a positive interaction with a "big" dog. A few weeks ago we were walking by my neighbors house and she had a not so positive interaction with his female dog. Lucy wasn't hurt by her, thankfully, but she was very scared and since then has been very weary of big dogs. As have I. They have a weinirmeir there who is very good with all the puppies. She will walk by them, sniff, go away, bring toys to them, leave. But not engage until they are ready. Lucy spent a fair amount of time w/ her tail between her legs, behind me, but eventually was "play bowing" to her. And her tail was wagging. It was very cute. Just a cell phone shot but look at that tail.

photo.jpg
    Lucy 8/24/12

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bearbuddymarie is offline Senior Member

congrats !

Love your siggy pic !
    Buddy 11

bella 5

Bruno 3

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You should get her into puppy K classes. She would love playing with the other puppies! Great socialization opportunity.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Puppy K classes were the best thing I did with Maxx. Keeping him in obedience since 10 weeks has made him the most social and well behaved dog I have ever had. It is wonderful that you were able to give her a positive experience, especially after a bad one.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Erendui is offline Senior Member

Haha I wish Bilbo was more timid... at his first puppy class, he wanted to run up to every single dog and human to give it lots and lots of kisses. He has since (on walks) 'interacted' with older dogs, some of which growl and snap but he is still undeterred. It worries me that when he's older he'll ignore these signals and get hurt

I'm not a fan of the trainer at my puppy class, but I've paid for the next set of 'adolescent' classes because I think the interactions with other dogs is good for him, even though I feel like the training is going nowhere!

lucylu is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    Puppy K classes were the best thing I did with Maxx. Keeping him in obedience since 10 weeks has made him the most social and well behaved dog I have ever had. It is wonderful that you were able to give her a positive experience, especially after a bad one.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    You should get her into puppy K classes. She would love playing with the other puppies! Great socialization opportunity.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely look into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Erendui View Post
    Haha I wish Bilbo was more timid... at his first puppy class, he wanted to run up to every single dog and human to give it lots and lots of kisses. He has since (on walks) 'interacted' with older dogs, some of which growl and snap but he is still undeterred. It worries me that when he's older he'll ignore these signals and get hurt

I'm not a fan of the trainer at my puppy class, but I've paid for the next set of 'adolescent' classes because I think the interactions with other dogs is good for him, even though I feel like the training is going nowhere!
    Lucy was the same way. We had a few interactions with big dogs prior to the incident with my neighbors dog but that was kind of ugly and really scared the poor pup. I hope the adolescent classes go well!
    Lucy 8/24/12