A poopy dilema

Thread: A poopy dilema

DJsMOM is offline Member

QuestionA poopy dilema

I'd be grateful for any advice please.... DJ is coming up for 6 months & is house trained but has a 'poo schedule' I'd love to change if I can.

He has a small amount of food before a poo during a 30 min walk/exercise in the morning at 7.30 - 8 & has the rest of his breakfast from his Kong when we get back.
    He has a small amount of food before a poo during a 30 min walk/exercise at lunchtime 12.30 - 1pm & has the rest of his lunch from his Kong when we get back.
    He has a full dinner from his bowl at about 6pm followed by a 30 min walk/exercise, he doesn't poo until I take him out at about 9pm

I cannot get him to do a poo from this point onward. I have tried staying up until 1-2am, taking him out on the lead at hourly intervals.

The problem with this is that he used to poo at around 3am & I used to set the alarm just before, then we both went back to bed. But recently he will not poo when I get up, even if we spend 20 mins out there. Each morning he is needing to poo at around 5am & wakes me up barking to go out. I have to get up at 6 and I'm exhausted because there's not enough time to go back to bed. I know it doesn't seem much but the 5 O'clock start is a 'killer' & I'd love to shift the pattern, if anyone has any tips.

Oct12_006.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

so he poops at 9pm? If he does he should be more than fine waiting until past 6am. crate him, ignore the barking and don't take him out at 5am. pick a time when you can ignore the barking evne if you are up.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

DJsMOM is offline Member

We don't use a crate. He has a safe area in the kitchen. I've ignored barking (fortunately we're detached) but I came down to poo!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Sorry, I find your poo schedule possibly too demanding? At 6 months there is no need to set your alarm for an after midnite potty run! And 3 poops a day is sufficient unless he wants to poop more. As much as you want him to poop on command, and it is possible for most dogs, some dogs just don't seem to have that body clock.

I'd say to expect a poop shortly after to 2 hours after eating. If you are feeding 3x a day then a morning, noon and evening poop makes sense. I would not expect a 4th poop in between the evening and morning one. Just curious, is there a reason why you don't crate train? How much room does he have in the safe area in the kitchen? Dogs typically will not urinate or defecate where they have to sleep, but if he has too much space then all bets are off. I think your only way out is a crate or smaller area.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

how often does he wake you up and actually poop at 5am? was it regular poop or diareah?

I do agree with the post above.

One of my fosters is 4-5 months old. he poops around 5pm in the evening then is good until the next morning (6am when I wake up and take him out on my shedule). but he is crated.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

DJsMOM is offline Member

Thanks for offering your advice. Sorry it obviously read as though I have a schedule for him. I meant DJ appears to have poop schedule - his times are consistent & you could set your clock by him! I'm not really bothered when he does a poo but would just like a longer lay in. I was setting my alarm because I have since he was a baby & just thought he was probably old enough now to stop.

I haven't crated him, to be honest I'd never even heard of 'crating' before I came on this site. It's not such a common thing here in the UK. We do have a peculiar layout to our house & I'm not sure that we have anywhere to put one that it wouldn't constantly be in the way.

I was really just wanting your experienced eyes to take a look at the times I was feeding him & the exercise he is getting to check there isn't something I'm doing that might be changed to delay the inevitable early morning poo.

Oh well I guess I just have to wait until his little body is ready to hold on a bit longer, or his body clock changes naturally. The benefits of having my furry bundle of energy definitely out way the price of an early rise.

Nov12_Oaks009.jpg

I think if you stop setting an alarm to take him out after midnite (before you rise) you will help to condition his body to hold it longer. I think your feeding & exercise regime is just fine in reference to how he seems to be pooping on schedule so to speak!

Crating is used for more than just housetraining, it helps for keeping the dog in a safe place if recovering from illness or injury, provides a place that can't be destroyed when they go through their different behavioural stages (they can eat through baseboards, cupboards, tear up flooring etc) and nevermind destroying your house they can be injured in the process, and a crate also just gives a dog a "den" or safe haven where they can just chill out with the door open. Just giving you the benefits - you do what you feel is best for your dog and what works in your household!

Oh as Tanya mentioned - how is his poop? If soft or runny that could explain the need to go again before you get up in the morning.

DJsMOM is offline Member

Normal poo but lots of it (really big ones!). Decided to ignore my 5am call this morning & came down at 6am to 2, yes 2, large piles. Where does it come from? He is an absolute poop machine. Thing is he does seem to care, he looks almost embarrassed by them being there! Oh well back to getting up at 5 for now, I hate the thought of him being uncomfortable.

Update: as I'm typing this he just asked to go out & guess what? A poo at 6:45pm. Strange how excited you can get over a poo development, eh? Could this be it?

Haha, no worries, you are not alone, I get excited over my dog's poo too... thank goodness I'm on a dog forum otherwise it would not be understood!

It's a work in progress. Start conditioning his body, do the 5am wake up then slowly add 15min to it until you get to 6am & he should start to get used to holding it on a gradual basis. As long as the poop is firm, normal colour it is just a matter of training him to hold it.

Erendui is offline Senior Member

Quick q. about nightime crating... I take my dog out at 11pm to go for a final poo/wee, crate him and go to bed. As he is 4.5 months, I set my alarm for about 5.30am, then get up at 8am. How often should I push it forward and for how long (e.g. 15 mins later every week?) at roughly how many months can I expect a full night's sleep (11pm to 8am) without setting alarms/being barked awake?