Puppy pooping in crate- HELP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy pooping in crate- HELP

kstringer is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy pooping in crate- HELP

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and hoping someone can help with an issue we are having. My husband and I brought home a beautiful 9 week old black lab puppy Thursday night (3 nights ago).

We are crate training Brutus. The first night we did not have the divider up in his crate (it is a large crate) and he pooped/peed in it a few times. After reading I learned the crate was too big so I put the divider up and overnight Friday and Saturday there were no messes. We take him out about every 1.5 hours and of course anytime he wakes up or eats. I would say about 70% of the time he has gone outside, mostly because we take him. However, twice today (after being let out about 20 minutes earlier) he went into his crate willingly and pooped. The 2nd time I saw him and immediately yelled NO, he ran out of his crate and out the doggy door into the back yard. I understand puppies will have accidents, but I don't get why he is deliberately going into his crate to poop when there is only enough room from him to turn around and lay down. Also, since he ran out the back door when I yelled NO why wouldn't he just go out in the first place?? We have been giving praise and treats after he goes outside and he seems to understand that now and enjoys the praise and waiting for his treat.

Also, not sure if this is related or not, but since last night his poop has been completely runny. Thursday/Friday it wasn't solid but was not runny like it is now. He has a vet appointment Thursday so I figured I would mention it to them also.

This is my first lab puppy so any help is appreciated :-)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I hope someone can give you some good advise. I would think runny poop means he was caught out.

Hope all goes well at the vets.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

bett is offline Senior Member

runny poop may be the reason. have you cleaned the crate with an enzymatic cleaner so there is no smell (to him)?
    9 weeks is kinda young to expect the dog to be trained, tho , you are correct, that he shouldnt be going where he sleeps. do you take him out after eating and keep him out until he poops?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Erendui is offline Senior Member

White spirit vinegar seems to work very well if you don't want to pay so much money for the 'proper' puppy accident cleaning stuff. I can only imagine that there must be a smell there, my puppy had a good few accidents at 9 weeks, it didn't last long at all, only when we accidentally left it too long between taking him out! (Easily done when you're so tired!) Hope it sorts itself out x

Tanya is offline Senior Member

He ran out when you yelled because you frightened him. you want to make a loud noise to make them stop in their motion but not scare them or you will end up with a dog that will hide to poop.

how well did you clean after the first accidents? make sure to use an odour neutralising product like natures miracle and really wash it well, including any soft bedding. the odour will otherwise linger to the puppy's nose and make them think t hat is a potty spot.

really up your supervision. he should not be out of your site long enough to get to the crate and potty. Set up baby gates, tether him to you, just make sure you are truely watchign him when he is not crated. Freedom is also for empty puppies, so if he hasn't gone in a half hour I would be watching him that much more.

Accidents are human error. they mean you did not get him outside often enough and/or did not supervise enough. he's just a baby, he had to go so he went.

ETA: any idea where he was kept up until now? was he in a home with the breeder getting a start at house training or in a kennel/run? was he from a pet store?

I highly recommend the book The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson or Puppy Primer by Patricia McConnell or these free downloads from Ian Dunbar Free Downloads | Dog Star Daily
    Last edited by Tanya; 11-19-2012 at 07:12 AM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by Erendui View Post
    White spirit vinegar seems to work very well if you don't want to pay so much money for the 'proper' puppy accident cleaning stuff.
    I agree vinegar works great and is less expensive, we dilute the store brand white distilled vinegar, 50/50 water/vinegar

Good luck with your new puppy!
    ~Paul

justine is offline Senior Member

I agree with the others - it might also be because he pooped in his crate before and because it was open, he could poop in there and then get out of the crate immediately.

I would temporarily close the crate while he's out of it and tether him to you with a leash at all times out of the crate. If you can't keep an eye on him 100% of the time, put him in the crate. If he's tethered to you, you should be able to catch him in the act and get him outside ASAP. Then he gets a party thrown when he goes potty outside.

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

9 week old puppies don't do things deliberately. They are doing things out of instinct.

A doggy door is a great tool for an adult dog, but at this point I think it might be harmful. Why? Because you aren't going out, praising him for his behavior OUTSIDE. You also don't know what he's done and what he hasn't before allowing him back in the house.

If he's been home for 3 days and has runny stool, I'd ask the following: Have you changed his food? Has he been wormed?

Sometimes the stress of a new house can be enough to start a giardia/coccidia infestation. Bring a stool sample to your vet.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Erendui is offline Senior Member

Just thought of another tip... It is a little "icky", but when my dog needs to do a number 2, his anus gets a little "bulgy". Whenever I notice it looking like this then I know to run outside with him (he doesn't always cry at the door, just stares at me haha). Don't forget the praise when he does it right! Also I've associated going number 2 with saying "Do it!" so he knows when we're on a walk and he can't smell his own mess, he is allowed to do it if he needs to :P

kstringer is offline Junior Member

Turns out he had 2 kinds of parasites which was the cause for diarrhea. They gave him meds and he seems to be doing better. We used one of those oxygen cleaners as well as washing his blanket. It didn't get in the actual crate, just on the blanket. We take him out every hour and watch him like a hawk in the house

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast