Tennis balls - Dangerous?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tennis balls - Dangerous?

rmcbuckeye is offline Senior Member

DefaultTennis balls - Dangerous?

So, I was looking into getting a couple tennis balls for Ryder, and I found out that they are actually dangerous for dogs? How did I not know this? I am wondering if I should still give him one, maybe a Kong brand, it'd cost more but would it be a better choice? Or do you have a better suggestion on what kind of ball to get him? He will be 8 weeks old when we bring him home, and I want to keep him acquainted with chew toys in the beginning and yet still (maybe I don't have to teach) play a game fetch, at least learn how to. Any help would be appreciated. As of right now, he has a Fetch & Glow ball and a pack of 3 tennis balls, but I'm starting to think I don't want to give him these.
    Thanks!
    “The more people I meet, the more I love my dog.”

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I didn't know that either. Mine love tennis balls. Gems would go insane if it weren't for the tennis ball. She would chew it so watch that, but usually only because she needed to have a good fetch session.

All the dogs at the dog park have tennis balls.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

I was surprised. I always see dogs with tennis balls. Dozer LOVES tennis balls, he doesn't chew on them, but he will only use it to play a game of fetch! When he's done, he drops it and relaxes for a bit (he gets so worn out after playing, so a tired dog is a good dog). I'm wondering, how do you teach a puppy that a tennis ball is only for fetch, not to chew on?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

balls are for fetching/playing/tossing and not for
    chewing. the fuzz damages their teeth if they chew them.

as for toys do not just get ball type toys, get different kinds/shapes.

for chew toys look at kongs, nylabone, antlers, etc. always supervise the dog when they chew. expect maybe the black kong.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rmcbuckeye View Post
    I was surprised. I always see dogs with tennis balls. Dozer LOVES tennis balls, he doesn't chew on them, but he will only use it to play a game of fetch! When he's done, he drops it and relaxes for a bit (he gets so worn out after playing, so a tired dog is a good dog). I'm wondering, how do you teach a puppy that a tennis ball is only for fetch, not to chew on?
    by supervising and removing the balls when you are done playing.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    by supervising and removing the balls when you are done playing.
    Yes, this ^^

Bauer has lots of tennis balls, and assorted shapes of Air Kongs (very loud, very annoying, squeaky toys covered in tennis ball fuzz that he LOVES more than almost anything). They are "outdoor-only" toys at our house, so I don't have to worry about him laying around chewing on them. He isn't a big chewer anyway.

I think the big concern is the fuzz working like a brillo pad on their teeth, as well as, biting off chunks and swallowing them. Use them as fetch toys only, and you should be fine.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Sophie can destroy a tennis ball in 2 minutes flat! We bought her a really ugly hard rubber ball that has a face on it. She plays fetch with that. She also loves the squeeky ball in the Wubba. We bought her one of those ring toys that looks like a donut, with tennis ball covering. It cost $8.99 and only lasted seconds before she destroyed it! We have learned that the fuzzy covering is bad for their teeth, so we don't let her have them anymore.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

I did not know this! Mya doesn't care is she has one or not......she will fetch one and play, but she is more about the frisbie.
    I swear....I learn something new here every day. Does that mean I didn't know anything when I joined?

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Sophie eats frisbees too... She just doesn't destroy them as fast. We have a black rubber bone that has lasted quite awhile. She has a toy called a firehose that is durable and has lasted pretty well. Her favorite toy is a real football our boys gave her. She has managed to sort of shred the pigskin on the outside and now carries it around by the shreds hanging off the inner bladder of the ball. She also has a basketball that she plays in her pool with. She loves the "splat" it makes when it hits the water. Anything stuffed lasts only seconds, so we never buy her those.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Very informative, guys. Thank you! I ended up buying Ryder his very first 6 inch blue Jolly Ball with a handle, obviously I'll be supervising him with that toy when he's outside. Hopefully he doesn't try to chew it off! I know he'll try to though since he will be teething. Glad I bought it at a discounted price (LOVE TJMaxx!)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast