One week into potty training....

Thread: One week into potty training....

finlaychoclab is offline Junior Member

DefaultOne week into potty training....

Ok

So Finlay is now 11 weeks Old and he is sleeping through the night from about 10:30pm- 7AM.. Very happy with that! took a bit of time but got there in the end.

So about a week ago we started with the potty training. I would say about 85% of his toilets happen outside which im very happy about... but i just wanted to know how would we start to get him to hold it for longer during the day. typically every hour we take him out. is that about right? We are recording everything. so everytime he has a visit and what he does there!

Its just that i read that by now he should be on about 3 hour between toilet breaks?! that cant be right can it?

Anyway- we are crate training him- so the next stage will be to crate him whenever he is not eating/drinking/playing/walking. just to put us a bit more in control of his toilet breaks....

He loves his crate! Didnt think it would happen about 3 weeks ago! But he really does!

Any advice greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

It really depends what they are doing. when a puppy is moving or changing activity they will need to pee more. If they are crated and sleepign they can hold it in a littler longer - this is why tehy can usually make do with one outing overnight but need to go more often during the day. So if you crate the pup when you are out of hte house you can probably be gone a little longer (one hour per month of age so you are just about reachign 3 hours). but if you are sitting at home and he's chewing or moving around you wil need to go out more often (and that can mean every house). or as soon as she wakes up. or when he eats.

You want him crated when you cannot supervise. But you also need to make a point of freeing yourself up to supervise more often so that you are not crating him 20 hours a day because that is teh only time you can supervise.

Why did you only start training a week ago (or have you only had the puppy 1 week).

You want to avoid accidents as much as possible. You want to ensure you get the puppy outside often enough so they don't have the chance to potty indoors. Make sure to clean accidents with a product that neutralizes the odour.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Crating the puppy should happen when you can't actively supervise him - not when he is not eating/drinking/playing/walking. You want to have opportunities to catch him about to pee and scoop him up, head outside and celebrate successful elimination outdoors. If you repeat this enough he will get it that you eliminating outdoors is the desired behavior.

The length of time he can hold it is determined by his bladder size and habit. Yes - you should try to start stretching this as he should be able to hold it for more than one hour. But - you have to either actively supervise - watch him and follow him from room to room ready to lift and run OR you crate when you can't supervise.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lil Man Jake is offline Senior Member

Just wanted to offer my experience with Jake. He actually learned quickly but still had some accidents here and there. He would just stop and pee! Most important is positive re-enforcement, NEVER hit a puppy because it had an accident inside the house(not saying you do, at all, but some feel this works, why I don't know, you don't hit a baby), this will accomplish absolutely nothing. Training Jake was actually rewarding in a way for me. Of course anytime he ate or drank he went outside and after a play session with his sister. We lacked some sleep in the beginning as he couldn't hold it overnight and he would want out at midnite, then 2 am, then 5 am, eventually he started sleeping thru the night and learned that nite time is sleep time. But, the main thing with Jake, as probably with most dogs, but especially with those loving/pleasing Labs(lol) he gobbled up the praise. Every single time we went out and he did potty, I would praise him with good boy!!! I would let him finish of course, but he really responded to a baby talk(I did feel silly, but didn't care). It got to the point that when he was going he would look at me, looking for that praise, waiting to finish to hear that praise and come running to his mommy for loves also. I really think this hurried along his progress. He even learned to go to the door when he had to go, this however has become kind of curse you could say, because often times when they would go out we would give them a treat when they came back in, he learned this and sometimes I think he wants to go out just to get a treat, yeah we put a stop to that, he does not get a treat every time. We used the crate too, he found it to be a happy place also, often times he would put himself to bed it was so cute. Now at 8 months and pretty much past that destruction stage he only goes in the crate if we are going to be gone for a couple of hours, we didn't want a "Marley" scene when we came home. Although, we have recently started giving him some freedom and we have had 2 incident free home alones. He sleeps on the bed at night with us or on his bed or in his crate if he wants(door is open). Point is what may work for me, I'm a stay at home dog mom so he got all my attention, may not work for you. You must be consistent in his training. They learn, they remember. Just like when you teach them a trick or two and then try to teach something else, they will throw at you what they know. Good Luck!

Thanks for all your advise...

the developments now include...

he goes to the door for a toilet-

however i thing he has now rumbled that if he has a wee outside he gets treat and a fuss.... so much so that he seems to be wanting to go wee more regularly?!

How do people suggest we bridge this gap?

It seems to be getting worse?!

Lil Man Jake is offline Senior Member

Re-read my post. Jake does the exact same thing, seemed to be doing it 20 times just yesterday! Don't stop praising, they LOVE that!
    It got to the point yesterday that I just stop letting him out and somewhat ignored him,(just for everyone's info, he wasn't having any issues as diarrhea or anything, because he just goes out and lays down) I know you can't do that with a puppy.
    But, Jake can hold it, and he knows I know that, lol.
    Just stop giving him treats every time, hopefully it will be learned quick, no treat EVERY time.

Totally wrong on all counts! He has a urine infection! I knew somthing just wasnt right. The Vet took a urine sample and has diagnosed him- so have now put him on a short course of antibiotics!

Hopefully it will be cleared up soon!

:-)

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I am glad you found the problem! I am sure he'll be right as rain in no time!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye