Odd behaviour question??

Thread: Odd behaviour question??

mpooleman is offline Junior Member

DefaultOdd behaviour question??

Hi there

Im new to the board looking for a bit of advice, while I grew up around labs, I now own my 1st one

She is a black lab at 10 Months, but has been displaying some odd behaviour at home.

Just to clarify
    - She is eating fine
    - Her poo is fine
    - She always has fresh drinking water and drinks fine
    - She gets plenty of exercise (dog walker while im at work plus walks when im at home)

After a walk she has a tendency to stand in front of you when you're sat on the sofa and stare you in the eye, then she will do one quick bark and run away, then she repeats this when it gets no attention and she can try and bite (not aggressively) too. I did think it was her being a bit mischievous and wanting to play even when she is clearly tired but Im not too sure. she does also seem to be licking everything (especially me) a lot more over the last week or so too. When she does settle down she seems very lethargic too (all day the other day)

Like I said I think it is just her not knowing when to admit she is tired and not knowing she should just have a sleep but just wanted to seek others opinions, I will happily have her checked by a vet but there are no symptoms a lot of the time and she will be having her 12 month checkup just after xmas anyway.

Thanks in advance for any replies

Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

It sounds to me like she still wants to play. A ten month old lab has tremendous energy! (I take my 1 year old pups to work with me at the kennel. They play and run for 2-3 hours, and yet when I go home and let the other three adults out, the pups run around like they have been confined for the whole morning!)

Is your girl intact or spayed?

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Mark,

Not trying to be nasty, but I think the problem is that Mark does not accept that she is not tired. He is the one that is tired.

10 months, I remember it well. Key point: At 10 months old, when they are tired, they drop and sleep like they were dead. The other 23 hours in the day, they are not tired. They have more energy that should be able to fit in an animal that size. They also are getting into what I called teenage rebellion years.

You said exercise, and then you talked about walks. I didn't read running anywhere. Try teaching the dog to fetch. I always like tennis balls and a Chuckit, unless you have a good arm to really toss that ball. Over, and over, and over, and ....

You can try mind games at home. Treats or favorite toys hidden on her, and then released to go find them. Hershey learned how to count to 5. Yes she did. She figured out that I would hide 5 treats, eventhough I used many places to hide them. After just a few days, she would go nuts searching, when she found the 5th treat, she would immediately stop searching.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies, just to answer a couple of those points

- She is in tact (not spayed)
    - When I say walk I mean run, we did a good 6 Hour walk round a reservoir the other day off the lead all the way nearly plus some swimming for good measure, with similar behaviour that evening.
    - Every walk I do she is on the lead for the 1st 10 mins then let off when somewhere suitable for a good run / fetch.

I think the phrase "teenage rebellion years" sums up what I was thinking, just trying to push her luck and think that she is boss - she will still respond to commands (sit / down etc) but I was just a little concerned there was something wrong with how she was feeling.

Mark

Shelley is offline Senior Member

You could always slip her into the crate for a little time out, if you think she is tired and just being naughty. She may just be over stimulated and as soon as she hits the crate may take a good nap. Either way, crating for a little while will break the annoying habit of barking at you and nipping you to play. You can teach her to lick you less too, just be consistent.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

sounds like she wants to play (as said above).

At that age some dogs need to learn to "settle". that not every second of the day is going to be filled with EXCITEMENT. Sounds like seh is getting plenty of physical exercise, I would also ensure she is getting MENTAL exercise (training, make her work for her food, brain games). Stuffed kongs, bones, toys they can interact with are great for this or just training them to "chill"
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Erendui is offline Senior Member

The bark and run away thing used to happen with Bilbo. He's a confident pup and my guess he'd be a natural pack leader if he was wild, it did feel like a bit of a challenge to authority, but now he knows who is boss, it has stopped. (Usually the bark/'playful bite' and run happened after I shouted "no!" because he jumped up at me whilst I was on the sofa). Not looking forward to the rebellious stage at all

Thanks for the replies again, reassures me it is "normal". If it happens late on then we just go to bed and we never hear a peep out of her, he just sleeps in the hall at the bottom of the stairs - we dont have her crate in the house anymore but i may bring it back in to give her a bit of a time out.

Thanks again