Health Issues:

Thread: Health Issues:

Tabilheu is offline Junior Member

DefaultHealth Issues:

Yesterday we got our new baby Roscoe P., when I got home I looked at his vet records and discovered he was only 6 weeks. I was told he was 7 1/2 weeks when I spoke to the breeder on the phone a few days prior. I was expecting to be bringing home a baby that was old enough to be away from his momma. What are the potential health problems he may have because he was taken away from his mom to early? I am going to call our vet tomorrow to schedule an appt for him to be examined. Is there anything I should do for him until he can be seen? I am not happy that he is only 6 weeks!! He was up every two hours last night to go potty which is to be expected. I put him in his crate, left the door open and slept by him. He did GREAT!! No crying or whimpering. I was super impressed!! As far as feeding him I have Pedigree puppy food that I mix with warm water to soften. He did not eat last night but he has ate every four hours today. I would really appreciate all the help you can give me, thanks in advance!!

Tabitha and Roscoe P.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Erendui is offline Senior Member

I'm not aware of any health issues (1st time dog owner) but when I was reading about getting a new puppy, I've read about social issues. He needs to have learned some social rules from his mum and litter-mates such as how hard to bite so as not to hurt etc... I think 8 weeks is supposed to be the absolute earliest to be taken away from his mum. I understand it's not entirely your fault, but it is definitely your responsibility to try and sort him out. I think you need to wait for other's opinions too though.

Oh, and PICS PLEASE

I was raised with labs so hopefully (crossing fingers) I will have a handle on training him to be a well behaved gentleman. Some advice on how to post pics?!?! Thanks guys!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

On the quick reply box, look for a button with a tree in it, click there and it will direct you to a file upload box. Assuming you have pictures on your computer If they are on a website, copy the picture URL (web address) into the box. x

*meant to say to click the URL tab to copy into!

D'awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! He looks so sad!

He has that classic "sad puppy dog" face!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

this is why researching ahead of time to know what to look for in a breeder can be worth it's weight in gold. there are many bad breeders out there (either by ignorance or not caring enough about the dogs).

If he was well kept at the "breeders" and healthy then there are no health risks as they are weaned by that age anyway. The issues are behavioural and social as they missed out on very important learning time with their litter. So he may be much harder to train "no bite" and such and may be "stupid" at dog communications.

I would work VERY hard to socialize him to people and dogs, safely. You can't bring him anywhere in public but you need to seek out and crate safe times and places to socialize him. Have as many different people come over to meet him, teach him how to greet all these people. men, woman, children of all ages, walkers, canes, hats, bears, etc..

Sign up for puppy classes as soon as he is old enough (some start around 9 weeks). these are special classes made safe for puppies that haven't had all their shots so they can learn dog behaviour and you get tips on training.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Hopefully, the only issues you will incur are behavioral, and with some forethought on your part, that can be a negligible issue. my very first dog, Belle (the first dog in my signature), was purchased under similar circumstances, except that I had no previuos dog experience. I was told she wa weight weeks, and when I finally got the paperwork (weeks after I got her), I found out she was barely (if at all) six weeks. She ended up earning over 17 obedience, conformation and hunt test titles, and five other "certificates" (CGC, TT, etc). So, a well adjusted, happy healthy dog can happen!

Good luck!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)