New Lab to the Pack - Overly Playful

Thread: New Lab to the Pack - Overly Playful

TeeBee is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew Lab to the Pack - Overly Playful

Hi everyone,

Last Sunday we added a new Lab to our pack, a 2 year old neutered male. He is sweet, submissive, came from a rescue so is well socialized to other dogs. I currently had 2 females, a 5 year old Dalmatian and a 2 year old Lab. My Dalmatian is top dog/pack leader, he recognizes that, and doesn't challenge either of them for toys, food, anything. Dalmatian is not playful, she just goes about her business and lets the 2 Labs do their thing. Only issue I'm having is the new male is overly playful with my female Lab, he will pounce on her, roll her, charge at her while playing....NEVER aggressive, he just gets really going and doesn't seem to know his playing limit. He is 70 lbs, she is 58. She is the SWEETEST Lab on the planet, has always submitted to other dogs, and kind of won't defend herself. She has yelped out, or gone down on all fours and just frozen herself when the male gets overly playful as described...she won't bark at him or warn him to back off, she just takes it. I have corrected him sternly when he does this, told him NO, and put him on leash in the yard until he calms down. I do not let him get away with this behavior and he is learning that it is too much.

Any other suggestions for what I might try to thwart this overly playful behavior? I know it will take time for the pack to adjust, and my female may be wondering what her "new" place in the pack is (she's always been the baby) I've just noticed a slight behavior change in her and I don't want this change to make her fearful or for her to become withdrawn. I work during the day, and have also considered separating them while I'm gone so she doesn't feel uncomfortable when I can't be there to correct the male. Thanks for any advice!
    Kira's Mom

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I would actually try to get some of the initial energy off the new dog without the other two (or in a different way). A brisk walk followed by fetch before they can play.

Otherwise, step in, redirect, give time outs. try to catch him earlier on.

I am having a similar issue at times with my foster. While he is generally great with other dogs, he attimes get really zoned in and is too rough. I manage his outdoor play with my other foster (though she eggs him on of course!)

That and lots of training one on one. The training will lead to a bond and your ability to control him more via voice command. but you have to start with no distractiosn one on one.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You aren't crating this new dog? I would be for at least the first few months.m
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

oh wow I missed that. SEPERATE THEM! never leave dogs who are new to each other free together when you are not supervising. If you are not crating the new dog they absolutely need to be in a seperate room completely from the other dog(s). I never ever leave a new foster free roaming with my boy unless I have had them awhile and know them very well (and their relationship with my dog)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky